Notices

whales

Jun 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

whales

My husband and I will be in the St. Johns area June 20-24th. We were in Newfoundland October 2007 and really enjoyed the beauty of the country, the friendliness of the people and the great food. We are hoping to see some icebergs and whales on this trip. I understand there have been icebergs, but have there been any whale sightings and where would be the best place to go to try to see some?
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Best places to see them are Signal Hill and Cape Spear. You can also take one of the boat tours out from Bay Bulls (a short drive south of St. John's). I think there is another tour out from St. John's Harbour. Pick a good day to do this as the area can get some pretty thick fog. And if you are taking a boat tour, dress warmly.
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Hi Donita - Generally the whales seem to follow their food supply and if their food is off shore then they are. In 5 trips to Nfld in late June/early July, we have seen whales effortlessly all times except once. We have seen them from Signal Hill/Cape Spear as suggested above. Also from Ferryland out by the lighthouse - we sat there for hours on rocks watching them frolic, same with Cape St. Mary's on the walk to bird rock. St. Vincents has a platform on their beach for whale watchers. Ihave only taken one boat ride and that was out of Bauline East to go see the puffin colony in Witless Bay area. We saw whales that time too. I actually prefer seeing them from shore because they I know we are not stressing them out with the boat. As for ice bergs, we have seen them again from Signal Hill and up in Conception Bay - around Portugal Cove/Pouch Cove. I think that depends on how much calving occured the year before. All in all there are no guarantees and my guess is that if others are seeing them then you will too. Us tourists are great for keeping each other posted. Enjoy your trip!!!!
Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:10 AM

just book marking. Thanks

Search this Thread