Westin Bayshore v. Westin Grand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one would be better for 7 nights in Vancouver? We are interested in everything (theater, hiking, shopping, eating) and don't want to be in an out of way location.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 12:21 PM

They are very different. The Westin Bayshore is very unique as it promotes itself as a 'Resort Hotel' in the heart of the city - which in many ways it is. It's actually not in the 'heart' per se but there is a regular shuttle bus to the downtown core about 1-2 klicks (1 mile) away. On the other hand it is right next to Stanley Park, on Coal Harbour which is the recreational centre of Vancouver Harbour, and in the West End which is the most densely populated area of North America outside Manhatten so the area is full of great restaurants and 'people places'. If you are there in mid summer there is the Theatre Under The Stars Program in Stanley Park which features two Broadway type musicals every summer for about 8 weeks weather permitting.<BR><BR>The Westin Grand is about 3 blocks east of the centre of downtown. It's an all suite hotel so each room has a seperate sitting room as well as a bedroom. It's within a short walking distance of a number of theatres although to be honest the Vancouver theatre scene has no real 'district'. There are about a dozen good live theatres within 2-3 K's of the downtown core but no more than 2 or 3 within the same block. The Grand is also within easy walking distance of Robson Street, Gastown, the Pacific Centre and less than one K from Granville Island, Yaletown, and Canada Place and the Cruise Ship Centre.<BR><BR>Both hotels are four star quality with all the Westin Perks. The Westin is newer but the Bayshore was totally renovated 3 years ago so is as good as new. My preferance would be for the Bayshore because it has a much more interesting and unique setting but either choice would be good.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for advice. I don't want to be in an out of way location -- plus I like the idea of a bit of a bigger room especially because we are going to be there for awhile. I hear the west end has great restaurants and shopping. Is that true? Would you call the Bayshore out of the way?
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:05 PM

The Bayshore is not 'out of the way' for sure but it's not in the centre of downtown either. It's in the West End which as you heard is a very lively 'people' place. But the rooms in the Westin Grand would probably be bigger and do have that extra sitting area.<BR><BR>But as I said my personal reccomendation for a first time visitor would be the Bayshore. With the shuttle to downtown you should not have a problem with accessing the heart of downtown, (on a nice day you would probably enjoy walking there along the harbour seawall), and the environment of the Bayshore is pretty unique while the Westin Grand is surrounded by concrete &amp; ashphalt.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Well, saying that the Westin Bayshore isn't in the heart of downtown is a bit misleading.<BR><BR>I would personally say it's located downtown. <BR><BR>Sure, not in the very heart of downtown in the literal sense - it's not located in at the intersection of Robson and Burrard, but not many hotel are, nor are all the attractions. But it's still located downtown, within a very easy walk to everything.<BR><BR>It's definitely the most central place in Vancouver you could be if you're planning to walk around and explore the city by foot. Much more easier than say, staying outside of downtown.<BR><BR>An example would be like Manhattan in New York. I don't know whether or not you're familiar with the NYC (I just visited there this past June), but say your hotel is located closer to Central Park. Just because your hotel isn't located on the same block as Macy's and the Empire State Building... doesn't mean it's not located in the most central park of New York. <BR><BR>The downtown Vancouver peninsula is quite compact. I actually refer to the entire part of this peninsula as &quot;downtown&quot;, although you could divide it up into its neighbourhoods (ie: Coal Harbour, the West End, Yaletown, Gastown, and simply the downtown business/shopping area).<BR><BR>The Westin Bayshore is located in the north-western corner of the downtown Vancouver peninsula called Coal Harbour. It's a great location - directly next door from Stanley Park, and located right on the Coal Harbour seawall. It's about a 15 minute walk into Gastown, a 10 minute walk into the main shopping blocks of Robson Street... about a 15 minute block to English Bay, along Denman Street. It's about a 20 minute walk away from Yaletown.<BR><BR>Both the Westin Grand and the Westin Bayshore are about a 20 minute walk away from eachother. The Bayshore will definitely give you more of a Vancouver experience - as it's located right on the water, where you overlook the harbour, the yacht club, the mountains, the seaplanes taking off, the cruiseships coming in... Stanley Park, etc. It's gorgeous. Definitely more serene, scenic and peaceful. <BR><BR>The Westin Grand is more of a modern high rise next door to the Vancouver Public Library, surrounded by offices and retail shops, closer to the trendy neighbourhood of Yaletown. <BR><BR>Having never had to stay at either hotel, I can't say one is better than the other, but based on location, I'd go with the Bayshore, unless you really enjoy hotels that are in busier streets with more of a downtown buzz, then go with the Grand. But they're both located downtown, and both, I'd say, are central.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to both of you. - I am leaning towards the Bayshore