Search

Rockies with baby?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockies with baby?

Hi fellow travelers,

My husband and I are 31 and 30, and we have a 15 month old daughter. We really want to visit Banff and Jasper this summer (late June) for 1-2 weeks. We're debating whether to bring the baby with us as the grandparents have graciously offered to watch her so we can go on our own. Do you think it's feasible to hike with a 23 lb.? She also takes a 2-hour nap after lunch and goes to bed at 8pm. If we left her with her grandparents, would she feel abandoned and get traumatized by this experience?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM

We took our daughter to the Rockies when she was 9 months old and didn't have a problem, and didn't miss doing things. Obviously had to make some adjustments, but we thought it was more than worth it. Traumatized if left with grandparents? Don't think I've ever seen a child traumatized when left with grandparents - they usually seem to get spoiled (which is what I've always been told grandparents are supposed to do).
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Hi - I understand your concerns about leaving your child, especially at 15 months, where she might not understand the concept of when you'll be back. If I were back in time with a child that age, I'd probably take a short trip (possibly up to 1 week) but probably not a 2 week trip.

On the other hand, getting away with your partner is one of the best things you can to do strengthen your relationship and that is a real gift to your children! Good luck with your choice!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:03 PM
ltt

i think if you want to go for 2 weeks, i'd take the child. that's a long time to be apart.
if you cut it down to a week, splitting the time between banff & jasper i say go for it. you never know if it might be the last time you and the hubby can get away alone together. and, there are some really nice romantic spots to enjoy for a couple.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM

I think it depends entirely on how good a relationship your daughter has with her grandparents.

In the case of one of my first cousins, he and his wife took over the care of their eldest daughter's twins for about 3 years.

My wife spent so much time with our grandson soon after he was born that he was comfortable with her.

On the other hand, there are toxic parents and grandparents.

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

It wasn't easy, but we decided to leave her with the grandparents. She loves her grandparents, and I trust them fully. This might very well be the last time we could travel on our own as we plan to have another baby later this year. We can't wait to go!