Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wedding Night! Toronto Hotel (near Airport)

Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
Can anyone suggest a really romantic, hotel
in Toronto convenient to the airport for our
Wedding Night? We have a flight that leaves
at 11:00 a.m for Quebec. What time should we leave the airport, and should we take cab,
subway, or what?

Thanks,
K.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:07 PM
BAK

Romantic doesn't really describe the airport hotels, but the Airport Marriott is probably the best of the bunch, and is a very nice hotel.

But expect kids in the pool and maybe a conference and lots of busienss people, too.

Farther away, but close enough to catch your plane easily is The Old Mill, just off Bloor Street West, overlooking the Humber River. It's a beautiful restaurant and reception location, and has recently added some nicve hotel rooms. The Old Mill has a chapel for weddings, and the rooms are often booked by wedding parties, so the management strives to provide a romantic atmosphere. It would be my choice.

BAK
Jun 4th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

BAK, Thanks for the imput.
We are taking the new fast ferry,
The Breeze from Rochester to Toronto,
so we won't have a car. Can you give me an idea of how far The Old Mill is from the ferry terminal? ( don't have
the terminal address right now.)
Thanks for any advice.
K.
Jun 4th, 2004, 07:17 PM
BAK

Are we assuming you want to take a taxi, being your honeymoon and all?

The subway runs to the Old Mill (Old Mill Station on the Bloor Danforth Line, but a cab would be, I'm semi-guessing, about $20 plus tip.

BAK
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:34 AM
BAK

There was a piece on the tv news last night of the Breeze heading out of Toronto to take people down to Rochester.

It looks like a great ship.

BAK

Jun 5th, 2004, 07:32 AM

The Old Mill is a great suggestion, but why do you feel the need to stay close to the airport? For an 11 am flight, you don't have to be at the airport until 9:30am (if you like to be early) or 10 am. If you took a cab (which would be a reasonable value at about $40 for two of you, compared to about $25-28 for the two of you to take the airporter bus), you could leave a downtown hotel at about 9:15 am (and to get the airport by about 9:40). Then the question becomes, what's your definition of "romantic" and what's your budget? Does it include sleek and modern (if so, try the Le Germain on Mercer St).
Jun 5th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

"Romantic" to me describes a hotel that
will not have the look and feel of a
normal run of the mill hotel, or dismal or an "every day" feel to it. Since we
will arrive after10:00 p.m. and have to get out fairly early to catch the plane, it may be silly to even place that much importance on the hotel.
It just would be nice on our wedding night to walk into our room and say, "Wow". A nice view to sit on a balcony and sip champagne would be nice. A great city view would be nice
at night.
K.
Jun 6th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Le Germain would satisfy the "wow" test for romantic in the sense of sleek, modern, French-inspired and sensual way. It's downtown, so you'd get to it easily (you'd have a somewhat longer trip to the airport the next morning - but less travel on your wedding night). I don't think it has much of a view. For views, I suppose the Westin Harbour Castle, Grand Hyatt, Four Seasons etc might be better (but the latter three would be quite expensive to guarantee a great view; you might have more luck with the Harbour Castle).
Jun 7th, 2004, 03:14 PM

When I checked the Toronto yellow phone book for taxicabs to make a reservation for the next day to go to the airport, most of them offered a free wake-up call (we stayed at a small place without this service). This was nice, do they still offer it?
Jun 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM

I'm not sure. I recommmend Maple Leaf Taxis (416 465 5555); ask for a flat fare to the airport. Generally I find that the cabs are cleaner and the drivers are better than other companies.
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Several of the limo services - such as Aeroport Limo - do offer wake up service.
I always have at least one mode of backup [travel alarm clock or whatever] in case they do not call.
Actually, even if using a hotel wake up service I almost always have a backup.
Missed a flight a few years back when the wake up call did not happen.

Jerry