Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Waterton and Glacier (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/waterton-and-glacier-986735/)

PHayden Jul 28th, 2013 04:31 PM

Waterton and Glacier

If we are driving from Banff around the end of September or first of October and planning to visit Waterton and Glacier and stay at the Apgar campground on the west side of Glacier is it best to drive west from Banff and then take day trips to Waterton or to drive south to Waterton and spend the night there and then drive east around Glacier to get to the west side? We will have a truck camper that we will leave at our campsite before we travel Going to the Sun Road. And won't know for sure that it is open so we will take the hwy south around Glacier if we go to Waterton first.

Myer Jul 28th, 2013 04:50 PM

Why not plan on staying on the east side where most people go?

It's directly below Waterton Lakes and gives you access not only to GTTS Rd but also Many Glacier with its spectacular scenery and wildlife.

This way your plan B doesn't have to be a long drive all the way around the park.

Last summer I took my daughter to Glacier. We flew in and out of Calgary. On the way back from Glacier we stopped in Waterton Lakes for a few hours.

Took some distant photos of the hotel. Went inside for a few minutes. Went over to see the waterfalls. Then hiked the most strenuous hike of the trip; Bears Hump.

This summer I'm going to Glacier for a longer period of time and then going to Banff and Jasper for a couple of days.

PHayden Jul 28th, 2013 05:48 PM

We were planning to stay at Apgar as it is the only campground that still has services at that time of the year.

kanunu Jul 28th, 2013 06:37 PM

Some years ago, on my travel morning I packed for my flight, Toronto to Calgary, and it was 90 F. In the air, the pilot mentioned that the high in Calgary was 35F. This was pre-internet, so I kind of thought he was kidding. The date was September 7... and we pitched our tent in Waterton that night (in the dark) in 12" of fresh snow. Brrrrrr. OK, I learned one lesson.... expect anything!
Bighorn sheep and mule deer, the big boys with large horns/antlers, were walking through the campground, obviously coming down from higher altitudes. Now THAT was entertaining.
The next night, we stayed in a hotel, as tenting had lost its attractiveness. My point is, be prepared for any kind of weather in the mountains, including snow being possible in any month (admittedly, rare in summer). But it did warm up and the snow melted, so we had a great and interesting holiday.
Stay in Waterton when visiting there, day trips from Banff waste too much time and gas!

PHayden Jul 29th, 2013 06:10 AM

Thanks Kanunu. We at least will be in a camper that has a heater and AC and not in a tent. With this trip we are having to pack shorts and T-shirts for the first half of the trip; heading west at the end of August over to north rim of Grand Canyon to Redwoods in CA and up to British Columbia for a boat trip through the Rain Forest. Then changing to long sleeves, pants, and maybe winter wear as we travel over up to Alaska, back to Jasper, Banff, Waterton, Glacier, Yellowstone, and the Tetons the end of September and into October. The good thing about not having to travel by air is bring able to be prepared for any weather. And staying in a hotel if we just get tired of the camper every once in a while! :)

Myer Jul 29th, 2013 10:34 AM

That's some trip!!!

This may be one of those times when planning on a motel instead of the camper might be an idea to avoid a lot of useless driving.

Ares Rising Sun or Swiftcurrent still open.

PHayden Jul 29th, 2013 02:18 PM

Thanks Myers, we very well could end up in a hotel! This is our first long trip in the camper and we are budgeting for hotel/motels about once a week to ten days for a break.