Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > VT to Quebec Drive, Handicap, and Carnival Questions
Notices

VT to Quebec Drive, Handicap, and Carnival Questions

Feb 2nd, 2013, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

VT to Quebec Drive, Handicap, and Carnival Questions

My elderly mother (89 years old) and I will be flying from DC, to Burlington, VT, renting a car, and driving to Quebec for the Winter Carnival. I have some questions. Is it relatively flat between Burlington & Quebec? (I’ll also post this in the VT forum.) We’re staying at the Marriott near the St. Jean gate. While they have parking, could anyone tell me of a parking garage that might be less expensive? (I think that the parking is $17 per day at the hotel, but I’m not sure.) The car will be left there for most of the time, but we might take it out to get to the ice hotel. She has a handicap decal that hangs from the rearview mirror. Can that be used in Canada? Other than the boat on the St. Lawrence, is there any other warm place where she can sit and watch part of the canoe race? (Maybe a restaurant or something like that.) Is there a restaurant or hotel that serves a nice tea this time of the year? Are there any driving rules that may be specific to Canada that I should be aware of? Thank you.
Feb 3rd, 2013, 11:57 AM

Yes the roads are relatively flat. There is no direct route from Burlington to Quebec City, but rte 133 at the border up to 35 to 20 is quite easy. Gas up before crossing the border, as gas is a lot more expensive in Canada. I can't think of any special driving rules in Canada other than no right on red in Montreal. I believe you are also supposed to drive with your lights on even in the daytime. Realize that all the highway signs are in French, so having a French dictionary is helpful, as is knowing the basics in French for left and right, exit, road work, etc. Quebec City is full of cafes, bistros, etc. You shouldn't find any problems finding tea or whatever. There is a large underground parking garage in Quebec City but I don't know the rates.

Search this Thread