Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   visiting the rockies (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/visiting-the-rockies-520045/)

bynar Apr 10th, 2005 09:49 AM

visiting the rockies

We are an Atlanta family of 4 who like to hike, love the outdoors, and are considering a july or august trip to banff/lake louise area (although we are not married to exactly where we go) - I'm struggling with where to fly - We only will have a week, and the flights look horrible - lots of stops and expensive - the posts sound fantastic for once you get there - Please give me some encouragement or ideas before I scrap this idea - byron

cmcfong Apr 10th, 2005 11:13 AM

Definitely do it, Byron. It is beautiful country. Delta will take you to Calgary and it is not a terrible drive from there.

BAK Apr 10th, 2005 11:30 AM

Try flying to Toronto and then Calgary, or to Denver and then Calgary.

If you pick the Toronto plane change, cehck whether you can go into and out of the same terminal. there are three terminals in Toronto, at the same airport.

BAK

brookwood Apr 10th, 2005 04:23 PM

With fuel prices what they are, you are not going to find a cheap flight, like $200 round trip, to Calgary from Atlanta.

There are four major ways I know of to get there: via Salt Lake City with Delta, via Minneapolis-St. Paul with Northwest, via Chicago with either American or United, and via Toronto via Air Canada. Calgary can also be reached via Houston with Continental and

I flew out on Air Canada last year, and that is my preference.

If you go in July, the Calgary Stampede takes place early in the month. Some people like it, some don't. Hotel prices are higher during the Stampede.

I do not at all understand your flights look horrible comment. There are no direct flights from Hartsfield, but at worst there is one change of flights. Is one change of flights that bad?

I will admit that Northwest seems to have very high pricing. But check Delta and American. SLC is a good airport to change in.

Chicago is the most crowded.
Toronto probably means a change of terminals.
But there is a bus to take you.

ltt Apr 11th, 2005 07:41 AM

i just did a search on air canada and it was under $650 canadian return from atlanta to calgary. it's a long distance so that doesn't sound too bad to me. but, you guys in the states are use to pretty good air deals. we don't get them as good in canada. it is a great destination.

bob_brown Apr 11th, 2005 11:37 AM

Well I just booked ATL to YYC via Toronto.
Good schedule. But the cost does have a lot of tax added on to it.
You can thank a lot of agencies for the taxes. Like 9/11 security taxes.

And if you have a passport take it.
Passports will soon be mandatory anyhow.

I really don't boggle at the price to visit the Rockies. You find rare beauty out there, if you know where to look.

toontown Apr 16th, 2005 11:26 AM

Check out www.travelocity.ca or expedia.ca, you will find some pretty good flight deals to Calgary. For the destination you are looking at, Calgary is definitely the place to fly to.

July and August are gorgeous in the rockies. You won't be sorry. There are so many hiking trails and the scenery is stunning. Johnston's Canyon near Banff is one of my favourite hiking trails.

You mentioned that you are a family of four. I'm guessing you would like what the Calgary Stampede has to offer. It usually takes place around the second week of July. I believe the website is www.calgarystampede.com.

One tip is to start booking now. Hotels book up fast during high season. You might even want to stay just outside of Banff in Canmore. Prices might be slightly lower and availability might be higher.

There is great information on-line and in some of the other posts in this website regarding itineraries. I live in Calgary and visit the mountains quite regularly. (I find that the poster, "Judy in Calgary" gives very good information).

Have a blast!