Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Victoria Whale trip & Eagle watching (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/victoria-whale-trip-and-eagle-watching-318303/)

Loz527 May 18th, 2003 04:51 PM

Victoria Whale trip & Eagle watching

What whale trips are recommended?
Are there any Eagles to watch? Where?
We are staying at the Harbor area for only 2 nights,wondering if Tofino is worth the hustling or should we just relax around the Harbor area?
Thanks!
Steve

April May 18th, 2003 05:24 PM

Eagles are all over. If you're around the harbour in James Bay, you should have no trouble seeing them in flight, depending on the time of year. Now and into summer they are easy to spot because the gulls raise quite a ruckus when they fly over.

With only two nights, I wouldn't want to drive all the way to Tofino and back.

waltd May 18th, 2003 05:44 PM

Hi: Was in Victoria last summer for 3 nights and 3.5 days. If you are only on the island for 2 days, you will spend too much time driving up and over to Tofino. I'd recommedn not doing it. We stayed near the harbor also and took in the butterfly conservatory and Butchart Gardens (incredible). Don't forget to walk around Thunderbird Park which is only 3 blocks or so off the harbor-lots of huge old totems-my kids had a blast running around them and for some reason nobody was there. As for whale watching, it depends on whether you want the smaller zodiacs or the more leisurely (and comfortable) larger hulled boats. Since we had my parents with us (70's), we opted for the larger excursion boat operating out of Oak Bay Beach Hotel, about a 30-minute (pleasant)drive away (800-668-7758). For the price you get a nice lunch and beverage and can sit inside (if the weather suggests it), or stand outside. The trip to where the orcas were (never call them killer whales in Victoria) took about 40 minutes, but they can be anywhere, so the trip could take longer or shorter. I understand that the zodiac ride can be quite rough and wet and cold (they provide insulated wet suits to help). As for eagles, I am sure they are plentiful but we didn't see any near the harbor. Hopefully someone will help you out on that. We saw plenty on the drive up to Whistler from Vancouver, though. Have a great time -it's beautiful!!

gkb May 18th, 2003 09:14 PM

Didnt do Victoria (March), but did do Tofino...amazing and what a spectacular drive(scenery). We went whale watching and did see the grey whales migrating.Also observed nesting eagles and sea lions. Loved the Pacific Rim area, strolled the beach, explored the tidal pools, climbed on the rocks over the Pacific, and saw wonderful sea life.

dar May 20th, 2003 11:26 AM

If you want to see the open ocean and eagles, take a drive up the highway towards Port Renfrew. About 1/2 way to Port Renfrew is a wonderful beach to walk on (a mini-long beach) - I think it was called French Beach. (Just check the map for the Provincial Parks day use listings). You could spend a few hours in the morning do do this drive (return trip). It's a nice scenic drive, you'll pass through Sooke, and can check out the park there too. It's too far to get to Tofino because you have to loop around the island to get there.

Francie May 21st, 2003 06:54 PM

Loz,

For fun, check out this website.

http://www.oakbaycam.com

Click: Webcam
Click: Eagle Archive

There is an eagle's nest web cam in Oak Bay where the picture refreshes every 45 seconds. I just went there andthe eagle is in the nest.

Enjoy!

Francie

icithecat May 24th, 2003 04:16 PM

Often there are eagles nesting in Beacon Hill Park.

Sometimes driving through Mount Doug Park you will (hopefully not literally) run into dear. Some neighbourhoods have trouble trying to grow flowers due to the number of thieving deer.

There are a variety of hawks that hunt for mice in the residential areas.

One winter we had a couple of snowy owls that migrated down here due to the heavy snowpack that year.

Every year in late summer I can hear the sea lions congregating on Race Rocks every evening. (I am one mile from the water)

A trip to Oak Bay Marina any day will reward you with seeing very fat harbour seals. You can buy 'bait' in the shop and hand feed them.

Need more?