Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Victoria Island logistics (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/victoria-island-logistics-792943/)

chiDee Jun 29th, 2009 10:47 PM

Victoria Island logistics

I am trying to get to Victoria Island. Two of us are traveling as a couple . We need to fly to Seattle from the midwest, because it is considerably cheaper than than to fly to Vancouver. Can I ferry from Seattle to Victoria, then rent a car (within walking distance of where the ferry dumps you off, also dragging luggage) in Victoria so that I can explore Victoria Island? Looking for very nice room with great ocean views on western coast of island that isn't ultra highest priced.

BAK Jun 30th, 2009 05:31 AM

It's not Victoria Island... be very careful.

I do not think you are going to Victoria Island.

Chances are really good you are going to Vancouver Island, which is where the city of Victoria is located.

Victoria Island is very, very far north, with only a few people, and constant ice.

Now, as to Vancouver Island...

I'm not an expert on ferry service, but I'm sure an expert will be along shortly.

I do know there are car rental agencies in downtown Victoria, and this is where the ferry boats arrive. So it would be easy enough to lug your luggage to one of these, or ask for a pickup.

When I've travelled from Seattle to Victoria, I came by car, and really enjoyed the drive from Seattle to Northern Washington. Took the car onto a ferry and arrived in downtown Victoria.

If you are returning to Seattle to fly home, using an American rental car for your whole trip is a good idea.

Otherwise, how were you planning to get back?

With a rental car, make a circle; Seattle to Northern WAshington to Victorian, on Vancou7ver ISland, and then onto another ferry to Vancouver, B.C., on the mainland, and then drive south on the mainland to the US border near Bellingham, and continue south, perhaps visiting towns along the coast, back to Sattle.

BAK

sdtravels Jun 30th, 2009 05:50 AM

I agree with BAK. We just did this trip. We rented in Seattle, drove to Port Angeles, took the ferry stayed a week and did the trip in reverse. We even got to drive up Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park.

leuk2 Jun 30th, 2009 05:54 PM

There are several passenger ferries from. the U.S. to Victoria( Victoria Clipper). There is also a Blackball ferry which take cars. I'm not sure, But I think it goes from Port Angeles to Victoria. I think one of Clipper ferris goes from Seattle. There is also float plane service from Seattle to Victoria, probably more expensive,but the scenery would be outstanding. The above ferries and float planes land/dock in the inner harbour. Would be a short walk to a car rental office. I know Budget is close by, but I expect there are many more.

chiDee Jun 30th, 2009 06:48 PM

Many thanks to everyone for the info, and raising good points. (Knowing the real name of the island I am heading for is a great start!) I appreciate your helpful replies.

robertarafferty Jul 7th, 2009 11:39 AM

BAK,
Someone suggested on this forum doing the drive counter-clockwise to avoid waiting going through customs/immigration by car, and instead doing it via the ferry system, with immigration in Victoria and customs in Port Angeles on the return to U.S. What do you think?