Reload this Page >

Victoria Island & Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 08:44 PM
Gee

Will be in Victoria for one day and Vancouver for 3. Please tell me what are some things one must see and do? I'd like to hike, see musuems, live plays, festivals, exhibts and shop. Am also looking for a cat gift shop. I collect all kinds of cat merchandise in the shape of a cat or with cats on it. Does anyone know of a retail store that has cat items in Vancouver, Victoria or surrounding areas? Also, how far is the city Victoria from Victoria island? Thanks.

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 09:39 PM
April

In Victoria visit the Royal BC Museum. As for events, it would depend on when you're visiting. <BR> <BR>I've not paid much attention to cat merchandise but I know I've seen some in a store in downtown Victoria called Unique Gifts and More in the 1200 block of Broad St. <BR> <BR>Can you clarify your last question? Victoria is on Vancouver Island.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:47 AM
Bob Brown

I second the motion on the BC museum. It is very well done. Butchart Gardens are lovely, too. I am not a garden fancier, but Butchart is special. <BR>Victoria as whole strikes me as a very pretty, civilized place to visit.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 10:13 AM
April

Well it used to be, Bob, but I'm not sure about that now. <BR> <BR>To avoid being constantly hit up for money, I stay off the main streets as much as possible. It may be a problem everywhere but it seems much worse in Victoria than Vancouver.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 12:45 PM
Margot

I agree with April regarding the beggars. They are everywhere and I didn't feel as safe as I used to walking around there at night, as most of them are young and quite agressive. It wouldn't be enough to prevent me from visiting, however. Victoria harbor is a beautiful area to walk around and an interesting place to shop. I would recommend tea at the Empress, a visit to nearby Beacon Hill Park and Oak Bay, and a walk around the harbor area along the waterfront from the Empress to Chinatown and back, as well as a stop at the museum. Might be too much for one day! In Vancouver, be sure to see Stanley Park and the west end around the area of the Sylvia Hotel(a great place to stay to be in the middle of the bay area, with really reasonable rates). If you're looking for a special, more expensive place to stay, check out the Wedgewood. In Victoria, I like the Swans Hotel on the harbor - very reasonable and interesting. Have fun!