Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Victoria in Spring for trip with older adults - hotels & activities welcome!

Sep 9th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi all! I am planning a trip from Oregon to Victoria, BC with my grandmother and my mom this spring. We are planning to fly and hoping to stay 2-3 nights in a hotel and do a few activities. I would love any suggestions for hotels that have a shuttle to the airport and/or Butchart Gardens. Accessibility is somewhat important as my grandmother will need a walker and at times a wheelchair. We'd love to be near downtown. I'd prefer a more traditional hotel rather than modern style, no need for super fancy but want a place that is clean and safe. A pool or hot tub would be a nice bonus. My dream for years has been to do the gardens and treat my mom and grandmother to tea. Hoping for spring flowers, so am open to traveling March, April, May. Does anyone have recommendations for a good travel time/month, where to stay, and great activities, restaurants, etc for the 70+ crowd? Thank you so much for any input.
Sep 10th, 2019, 03:37 PM
mms

Take a look at Chateau Victoria. I stayed there several times last summer and loved it! It is basically right behind the Empress, so very close to the inner harbor and all the shops/restaurants. It does have a pool as well. I do not know about a shuttle as we took our own vehicle, but I am sure their website would have that information. There is a bus by the Empress that will take you to Butchart Garden. Which, that gets very busy so if you can go as early as possible, then it is more enjoyable and of course easier to get around.

Beacon Hill Park is right in town and has some nice garden areas.

There are plenty of places you can have tea. Murchies is popular and of course the Empress. We did the Empress about 15 years ago and loved it. There was so much food that we did not need dinner that evening, to give you an idea. Yes, it is a bit expensive but we thoroughly enjoyed it (my daughter and I) and were glad we did it.

As for restaurants, our favorite one by far was Little Jumbo. The food and drinks were so good and the atmosphere was very nice. It is tucked away, so you have to know where it is and look for it.

A great place for breakfast or lunch is For Epi. OMG, so good!

I did not care for Nautical Nellies or The Sticky Wicket at all.