Gros Morne hiking

Search

Gros Morne hiking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gros Morne hiking

Hi all - I'm trying to get information about hiking in Gros Morne National Park. My travel companion and I don't hike much but are young and relatively fit people. We will probably only have one day to hike and I would love to do the Gros Morne Mountain/James Callaghan Trail. I have found the Park's website information (http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmor...g/mgm-gmm.aspx) but wondered if anyone who has actually hiked there can tell me how strenuous it truly is.

Obviously, each person's experience will differ, but I'd love to get a general sense. Alternative suggestions welcome. The other trails are here: http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmor...ee-hiking.aspx.

Going in August.

Thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 04:51 PM

There are a couple of good trip reports with hiking info. mClick on Newfoundland and you will see a lot of information.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 01:39 AM

A lot of option are there.. its a great place to hike for long and short too.
Gros Morne Mountain has lot of trails..
i prefer tablelands for a good trail
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 03:06 AM

I would suggest you plan to stay in the area for one night and decide on a trail when you get there. Park staff should be able to give a good idea of conditions on the trails, and you will need to take weather into account. it can be quite cold and wet in Gros Morne. When are you going?
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 03:16 AM

Eliz is right. When I was there ladt August the rains ( and bugs) were very bad. We had to limit ourselves to relatively short hikes.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 02:55 AM

"<i>... wondered if anyone who has actually hiked there can tell me how strenuous it truly is.</i>"

TaraN, I have climbed Gros Morne twice in the last two years. It is an exhilarating experience providing spectacular views. You will probably see some interesting wildlife, too; we saw ptarmigan, moose, arctic hare, and black bear on the mountain.

I found both hikes long, strenuous days, but bear in mind that while I am reasonably fit, I am also 64 years old. Put another way, we never caught up to any other hikers, but a lot of younger people passed us along the way. So, if you are "young and relatively fit", as you say, you should be fine.

Parks Canada provides some very sound advice about the trail: carry an extra layer of clothes, some food, and 2 lires of water. (I would add that good hiking boots are essential; the trail is rocky and uneven, and it is very slippery when wet.) They also caution you not to climb if the top of the mountain is obscured by fog or cloud. You will see why once you reach the summit: it is a flat, featureless sea of grey broken rock. The trail around the top is marked by small bright green arrows, but they are often far apart. We had the unfortunate experience of having cloud move in on us on the summit and we twice had trouble seeing the next marker. You do not want to become disoriented on top of Gros Morne.

One more piece of advice: allow sufficient time to get back to the parking lot before sunset. It took us eight hours the first time and seven hours the second. And lastly, I should tell you that we found the decent more arduous than the ascent.

Of the other trails you referenced, I particularly liked the Green Gardens short hike, the Tablelands, the Lookout, Baker's Brook Falls, Green Point, and. of course, Western Brook Pond. (If you do nothing else in the park, do take the boat excursion through Western Pond. It is an unforgettable experience.)
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. CMC, I will check those out! Eliz, we're going there in August and hoping for relatively decent weather. (Don't you love how everything with me is "relative"?) Anselm, thank you for your very informative response. I think we'll plan on two days in the area so that we have a good shot at the Gros Morne hike and also can do some shorter hikes.

As always, I couldn't plan a decent trip without great responses. Much, much appreciated.

TaraN