Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Victoria and Vancouver (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/victoria-and-vancouver-127360/)

Raymond May 31st, 2001 04:34 PM

Victoria and Vancouver

We are going to Vancouver in mid September and we would like to visit Victoria and Butchart Gardens. I understand there are whole day coach tours from Vancouver. Can anyone tell me whether it would be cheaper to do it ourselves, by taking the ferry across ? How far is the ferry terminal from Vancouver CBD and what is the return fares ? <BR>And how far is Butchart Gardens from the ferry terminal and what would be the admission charge ? Thanks in advance.

Island Girl Jun 1st, 2001 06:09 AM

Try www.pacificcoachlines.com. I believe that they have a day trip to Vancouver Island and Butchart Gardens. No idea as to cost, but the site would probably tell you that. Admission to the Gardens is about $14 each. <BR> <BR>And you can check www.bcferries.com for info on doing the trip yourself.

April Jun 1st, 2001 09:09 PM

I imagine it would be cheaper to do yourselves. Return bus fare with Pacific Coachlines between downtown Vancouver and downtown Victoria is $54.00. The trip including the ferry takes about 3½ hours each way. It's an easy, relaxing way to go. <BR> <BR>I just don't know if there's a way to visit Butchart Gardens on the way in from the ferry rather than going all the way to Victoria and back out to the gardens. You can get between Victoria and the gardens by city bus for $2.50 each way. <BR> <BR>To take the ferry alone would cost around $18.00 return. Check schedules first but ferries would probably be running every second hour at that time of year, on the odd hour. <BR> <BR>I think admission to Butchart's at that time of year is $18.00. I've never timed the drive between Swartz Bay and Butchart's but I'm guessing it would take 20-30 minutes.

Raymond Jun 4th, 2001 10:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I have lloked at Pacific Coach Lines' website. Downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria cost $54. So I think we will get off in Victoria and hop on the local bus to Butchart Gardens. It still works out a lot cheaper than the tour (and allows us more time to spend at the Gardens) <BR>April, you mentioned the local bus costs $2.50 each way to the Gardens, where do I catch the bus and which bus to take ? Does it stop right in front of the Gardens ? Many thanks. <BR> <BR>Raymond

April Jun 4th, 2001 11:02 PM

A new schedule should be in effect by then so ask any bus driver for one. You'll want the number 75 bus which you can catch at various points downtown on Douglas Street (on the odd-numbered side of Douglas). One stop is near Fort Street I think. Have $2.50 ready in change. <BR> <BR>The last time I took this bus some years ago it stopped right at Butchart's entrance, closer than you'd get if you had a car to park.

April Jun 4th, 2001 11:24 PM

Oh, and mention to the bus driver that you are travelling two zones.