Reload this Page >

VIA Rail: Delightful Riverside Strolling in Cornwall ON

Old Apr 10th, 2023, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodor‘s,

This Easter weekend, I saw an opportunity to do one of my favourite things, a train getaway! We had just had an ice storm here in Montreal on the Wednesday and Thursday that caused many to lose power but the temperature I saw was trending in a positive direction enough that Sunday looked a good day to skip town.

I’ve had a goal to visit the different towns on the train routes to Ottawa and Toronto and so far quite a number have been very enjoyable getaways. Cornwall, despite being the closest Ontario stop to Montreal on the Toronto route, I had never visited before, in part because some friends and acquaintances had been discouraging: “I wouldn’t bother going there”, “why on earth would you go *there*?”, “boring!” etc… Anyway, I wanted to see something new, thought even if uninteresting, there seems to be riverfront trails, so how bad can that be?

Turns out it was a delightful day trip. One has to get a cab from the train station into the downtown, about a 10-minute ride. Tip Top Cabs were waiting at the station and came within a few minutes when I returned from downtown. I asked the driver to drop me off at a central point and he suggested 2nd and Pitt. I liked the feel of the central core immediately, some pleasant stone architecture with some history and character.

After lunch, I admired some historic buildings and then crossed the street to the delightful riverfront Lamoureux Park with its winding trails. In addition to handsome views of the river, where geese gathered in sizeable number, one could see dams, streams rushing through grasses and pussywillows, a canal and the bridge from Cornwall Island, with a Canadian customs and immigration station on the City of Cornwall side of the river.

Cornwall Island or Akwasasne I found interesting—a First Nations territory; it seems if you go from Cornwall to the island, you need a passport? The crossing is referred to as a Three Nation Crossing so Akwasasne doesn’t appear to be the US either, makes me wonder how that works as far as representation is concerned (in Canada? the US? the UN?).

In my opinion, I politely disagree with my naysaying friends and acquaintances; Cornwall, the seat of the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, I declare is a worthy getaway from Montreal if one wants a pleasant small town escape from the city.

Happy travels

Daniel

Old Apr 10th, 2023, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Views of geese and the Saint Lawrence River from Lamoureux Park.

Dams can be seen from the riverside trails.

United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Courthouse and Gaol