Reload this Page >

VANCOUVER/WHISTLER, FAMILY VACATION HINTS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:20 PM
BARBARA

MY HUSBAND,3 KIDS (8,10,AND 12 YEARS) AND I ARE HEADING TO VANCOUVER FOR 3 DAYS AND WHISTLER FOR 2 IN MID-JANUARY. STAYING AT ROSELLEN SUITES IN VANCOUVER AND AT DURLACHER HOF IN WHISTLER. ANY HINTS AS TO ACTIVITIES IN VANCOUVER FOR THE KIDS? RESTAURANTS? THEY LOVE SUSHI AND ARE VERY OPEN TO TRYING NEW FOODS. <BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:04 AM
Catherine

We were in Vancouver and Vancouver Island during the summer and loved it. I don't know what Stanley Park will be like during January, but it is a "must". The kids enjoyed the Aquarium there. I would not advise eating lunch at the Aquarium though as it was expensive and crowded.<BR>Granville Island is lots of fun, our kids enjoyed the kids market. We let them buy a few toys which helped occupy them during our travels. We had lunch there at a place near the entrance to Granville, can't quite remember the name - something to do with peppers. The food, service and price was good and a bonus was the very clean bathrooms! (I'm a mom you know!!)<BR>We were a little disappointed in Science World. I guess I was expecting one similar to Toronto's. It was a bit boring for our 5 yr. old, but her two older brothers enjoyed it. As an aside for anyone else reading this, the puppet show (McGraw) about the planets was a big hit with our 5 yr. old, she was very entertained and learned a bit about the solar system. This was a fun way of occupying her while Dad went through the exhibits with the boys. she did get a kick out of touching the "moon rock". If it's pouring with rain, this would be a good pick.<BR>We didn't eat dinner out so I can't help with that.<BR>Hope this helps. I love this site, my husband was so impressed with my planning and knowledge of where to go when we got to BC!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:15 AM
Catherine

Me again. I forgot to write that we liked walking along the Harbour front watching the tiny sea planes taking off and landing. <BR>(We did this while waiting for our room to be ready at the Westin Bayshore. This hotel did not really impress us, the room we got was a little tatty. In fact the Fairmont at the airport was so much better and while not cheap it was worth it.)I'd be interested in hearing how you like the Rosellen Suites.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:33 AM
gary

Catherine's suggestions are very good but remember January in Vancouver is likely to be cool, grey and wet so take advantage of any dry weather to do your outdoor stuff and always keep an indoor backup like the Science Centre or the kid's market at Granville Island. They will probably love taking the little False Creek Ferries to Granville Island even in inclement weather.<BR><BR>Sushi is everywhere in Vancouver and quite reasonable because of it. Robson Street near the Rossellen Suites has some very good places especially in the area just west of Burrard. Vancouver is also one of the best places in the world for Chinese Cuisine. Most North Americans don't realize that saying 'Chinese' food is like saying 'European' food because there are almost as many varieties and they are as different from each other as Italian from German. Also East Indian food is very big in Vancouver and has about 5 variations. The best East Indian food is not found in Downtown Vancouver though so you'ld need to go further for that. Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian and Malaysian restaurants are also very good. <BR><BR>The local specialties are called West Coast Cuisine and that usually is local seafood like Salmon, Halibut, Dungeness & King Crab, Oysters, Clams, etc. along with some local game like Quail or rabbit. Try our BC wines too. They really are quite good. But if you and the kids really want to try something very 'West Coast' you should take them to the Liliget Feast House which is a First Nations, (e.g. Native Indian), restaurant featuring traditional First Nations food and ceremonies.<BR><BR>Hope this has been of help.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Mary Ann

Try Pacific Spirit Park, near UBC for the kids. Also don't miss the museum of Anthropology at UBC and the beaches called Locarno, Spanish Banks and Jericho. A great area to eat is in the west 10th shopping area in the 4400 block where you will find Provence and across the street and down is a place called Wabi Sabi which is surely the best Japanese food in the city! Try their wild mushroom salad to start with. Another fabulous place to eat is Montri's -- a Thai restaurant near Alma street, on Broadway, and just around the corner on West 10th Avenue is an excellent tapas style place called &quot;Asia&quot; -- the kids would love many of the items on their menu. We stayed at Casa Mora, a bed and breakfast near UBC and we thought it was excellent because we had a fireplace, our own kitchen, a private entrance and we actually cooked for ourselves, including breakfasts - they supplied a food basket when we got their and we had the option of full, cooked breakfasts but went with the basket option instead. We loved the west side of the city with its superb views, all the parks, tennis courts, playgrounds, and it is much, much quieter than downtown where there is a lot of construction happening now particularly in the west end where you hear the noise of construction, the traffic and the drone of the downtown, almost constantly. Vancouver's public transport has come a long way in recent years and to get to Stanley Park and the downtown from the west side and from the UBC area is only a few stops on their express bus called the 99 bee-line.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Catherine

Gary,<BR>That is a nice suggestion about Liliget Feast House. I've added it to my &quot;wish list&quot; aka our next trip!<BR><BR>Barbara, <BR>Here is a post by Robyn earlier this year. I found the website helpful.<BR><BR>&quot;There's a wonderful website designed for families touring Vancouver with kids. It's not a commercial website, but was built by a local family. You might want to take a quick look!&quot;<BR><BR>http://www.findfamilyfun.com <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:49 AM
barbara

Thanks for all the suggestions, Catherine and Mary Ann! Liliget Feast House will definitely be on the agenda, Gary. I'll let ya'll know how the trip turns out (if I don't break something skiing!)

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Janet

I've been to Vancouver several times in the last year and the suggestions you've received are excellant. Just wanted to say Liliget Restaurant is truely a unique experience and I try to include a visit there every time I go. Enjoy the wonderful diversity that is the greater Vancouver area.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Janet

Me again, forgot to include a lovely little restaurant in Whistler. It's called Sushi Ya, and is located over the Rogers video shop. A bit tough to find but worth the effort. Enjoy!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:26 AM
the_driven_one

I second what Mary Ann said a few posts above about going to Montri's for some great Thai food. It's absolutely divine! I also love the food at the Thai House, especially the locations in Kitsilano, Richmond, and Metrotown. As Gary also said above, there are so many Chinese restaurants it's impossible to know where to start. My personal favourite is Hon's Wun-Tun in Chinatown, just because it's great, authentic food and inexpensive as well (which is an important consideration for a student like me!)... Anyway, just my thoughts. Hope I helped a bit...