Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver - Whistler Brief Trip Itinerary Suggestions

Sep 7th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

A couple of suggestions for Vancouver / Whistler travel. I have found the posts on this board very helpful so I hope I can contribute a bit on the topic of very brief trips to Vancouver and Whistler.

ACTIVITIES: Day one - Vancouver - toured Downtown area, Stanley Park and the seawall after arriving in the afternoon, toured Yaletown. Day two - Vancouver - Grouse Mountain (did the Grouse Grind - FANTASTIC!), then went to dim sum at Floata (Sun Sui Wah is not in Chinatown unfortunately so we did not make it there), walked through Gastown district, went to the Bard on the Beach (saw performance of Much Ado About Nothing - FANTASTIC!), Chinatown night market. Day three - drove to Whistler, hiked Lost Lake trail (beautiful hike).

VANCOUVER HOTEL: Stayed at the Wedgewood Hotel (originally had a hard time deciding between the Vancouver Four Seasons and Wedgewood Hotel. Finally decided on Wedgewood). I'm glad I did. I'd highly recommend the Wedgewood Hotel to anyone staying in Vancouver - service was wonderful and the room was beautifully appointed (Frette linens and upscale toiletry products, beautiful tapestry on bed); the bathrooms were marble (again, Frette towels and robes - the Four Seasons in Whistler had the same linens and towels) and the adjustable Kohler showerpiece is terrific. The chocolates upon arrival is an especially nice touch. The famous cookies at turndown were a nice touch although a bit overrated. Request a view overlooking the Robson gardens if you do book there. The location was fantastic and central to everything. Staff was extremely gracious.

VANCOUVER DINNER: I'd also recommend Brix for dinner. We were treated really well and had a perfect table in the window. Very nice entrees list, selection of tapas and wines by the glass. Top notch service and terrific at serving appetizers / tapas style throughout the varous courses (sometimes wait staff is not so gracious because of the several trips to overall price of meal ratio).

WHISTLER HOTEL: Stayed at the new Four Seasons - very large bathrooms, L'Occitane products, Frette linens, impeccably appointed, nice balcony with teak chairs and table. The common areas, including lobby, library, outdoor garden, pool and sitting areas, gym, are very nice. Beautiful hotel and incredible service - we were upgraded. The receptionists are very very gracious (not like some "seasonal" staff that you would find in a ski resort) Also, courtesy shuttle (Cadillac Escalade) takes you to and from town upon request. The only thing odd was that the hotel charges for bottles of water. In other Four Seasons, that used to be complimentary.

WHISTLER DINNER: Araxi Grill. Fantastic dinner (appetizers and wine) and fantastic service. The bar area (all of Whistler is non-smoking in public areas) is very cozy and upscale, more intimate feeling sitting at the high top tables than in the dining room. Also has nice heated patio seating out front, but tends to be a bit more livelier and louder because of people outside.