Vancouver to Toronto by Grey hound bus

Jul 8th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Vancouver to Toronto by Grey hound bus

Anyone done this over a few days? Was it worth doing scenery wise? Is it very tiring?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Jul 8th, 2004, 07:01 AM
ltt

i did so many greyhound trips as a kid, this sounds like a nightmare to me. greyhound is a great way to travel but i have personally said i'd never go over 12 hours again. they do allow you to reserve seats now (depending where you get on) so i'd reserve one up close and on the isle if you want leg room. if you can afford it, i'd go with the train because at least you can get up and walk around and move away from someone irritating who may sit next to you.
if i was sticking to greyhound, i'd take it from vancouver to jasper or banff and get off for a couple of days. get back on and take another break in winnipeg. make sure you get on express buses when travelling long distances. the scenery is worth seeing.
Jul 8th, 2004, 07:36 AM
BAK

If you took this trip in ten stages, say, with ouvernight stops in nice places, it would probably be OK.

I never did as many trips as ltt, but after one trip just from Jasper to Edmonton, I swore off long bus trips forever.

The bus would give you better views of the insides of cites you pass through, as it goes to a downtown terminal, and you could, at some stages, get off, visit the city for a few hours, and get on the next bus. Trains only go through once a day, at the most, on much of the route.

Maybe a train-bus split would work.Bus through the Rockies, train across the prairies, train from northern Ontario to Toronto.

BAK
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:48 AM
JMM

I did part of this (in reverse) this many years ago - Toronto to Calgary. When I arrived in Calgary, my ankles were swollen to 5 times their normal size (sitting for too long). It took approximately 3 days of solid travel to get there so I HIGHLY recommend breaking it up. However was the trip worth it - yes ! I really felt I saw a lot of Canada. Some of the bus drivers were fantastic. The north of Superior driver (from Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay) actually commented on all things of interest and stopped for photo ops at scenic spots.
Jul 19th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to those who responded. I will probably go for it, and as you said JMM i will really feel as though I've seen a lot of Canada then.
Lynda