Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver/Seattle trip help (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-seattle-trip-help-520943/)

bennyboy96 Apr 13th, 2005 10:51 AM

Vancouver/Seattle trip help

Anyone see any possible problems/negatives with this itinerary? Day 1 fly into Vancouver around 1pm. Stay in Vancouver for 2 days and one night. Leave Vancouver on Amtrak Cascades @ 6pm getting into Seattle around 10pm. Stay in Seattle two days and two nights with a wedding on Vashon Island. Fly out of Sea/Tac the 4th night.

Is this itinerary a better option than flying in and out of Sea/Tac and then driving to and from Vancouver? I hope that flying into Vancouver and training to Seattle will save a lot of driving and possible border waits and will be more scenic. Is it worth $50-75 dollars pp to do this option instead of driving?

BAK Apr 13th, 2005 12:07 PM

I live in Toronto and used to go to Vancouver often for a client which had branches in Bellingham, Washing (close to the border) and Seattle.

To us, it was just natural to drive back and forth between the three cities, and when I had weekends to kill, I used to get in one of their cars, or a rental, and cross the border one way or the other.

If you've got the time to spend on the way, there's lots to see if you get off the highway when driving from Vancouver to Seattle.

It depends on your interests, too. I'd love to visit Boeing's plant in Everett, easily reached by car but probably not by train.

And remember that a cross-border car dropoff can be a problem. Flying in and out of Sea-Tac, with a drive to and from Vancouver, plus having the car handy for the wedding, would be my choice.

lincasanova Apr 13th, 2005 01:50 PM

depends on the rental price IMO.
you do not need a car downtown seattle, and you certainly do not want to pay ferry fees anywhere. you don't need one in vancouver either.
(not sure if vashon has bridge or ferry).

in vancouver, take public bus to horseshoe bay and take as foot passenger the ferry over and back from gibsons for a majestic short trip through one of the most attractive inlets in western canada.

in worst scenario, you could rent a car the day of the wedding in seattle if there was no easy way to get there, but i have found that the public transport is excellent in that part of the world and a car was a nuisance in the city and on the ferries unless you were doing extensive travelling afterwards.

don't miss an evening ferry ride to bainbridge island for the view of the city. nice restaurants dockside when you get there.

readysetgo Apr 14th, 2005 10:19 AM

Hi..sounds like you are flying on an open jaws ticket, into Vacouver and out of Seattle.
To me, you would be spending quite a bit of money on Taxi cab rides. It's true you probably won't need a car in downtown Vancouver and possibly even downtown Seattle.
If you cross the border (in a car) and you are early enough in the day, and not on a week-end, chances of a long wait are not high. Traffic on I-5 is pretty decent most of the way, after Everett it can become very congested all the way into Seattle.
There is a ferry between Vashon and Seattle. Vashon is still very rural, so if you do not have a car you would be depending on someone to pick you up. I vote for a rental car, gives you more freedom and flexibility. Especially if you can pick it up in Vancouver and leave it in Seattle. Have a great trip.

ddaj Apr 14th, 2005 11:08 AM

readysetgo,

I saw your message yesterday about you trip to Italy but couldn't find it again... anyway I found you here.
I would like to ask you for a huge favor. I'm a stamp collector and the Vatican just issued a stamp called "vacant see" and it's only being sold at the Vatican post office, which is located at the St Peter's Square on the left side facing the St. Peter's Basilica (between the restrooms and the bookstore). I am looking for a sheet of the "vacant see" stamps, it comes in three values; 60c, 62c and 80c (anyone is fine). I will send you a check as soon as you email me your address.
Thank you and I look forward to hearing form you.
Enjoy your trip!!!

Daniel
[email protected]

readysetgo Apr 14th, 2005 11:34 AM

DDAJ: I will do the best that I can and there are also a couple of others that want stamps. I don't know if they will limit what you can buy or even if there will be any stamps left. I will E mail you if I have success.