Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver lodging & stuff (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-lodging-and-stuff-520050/)

cheriann Apr 10th, 2005 10:03 AM

Vancouver lodging & stuff

I am planning my ma & pa's trip this June to B.C. They are celebrating their 60th birthdays, and will be spending their last two nights in Vancouver.

Can anybody describe Granville Island for me. There's like a farmers market and little shops and stuff?

I am trying to decide Between:
-Lonsdale quay hotel,
-Granville Island hotel.
-Wedgewood Hotel

My mom loves to browse little fun boutique type stores, and loves looking at local artisan crafts. they will just want to spend a leisurely day of browsing, walking and lingering and don't really care if they don't see the whole city.

They will just be returning from a rustic inexpensive ranch in Caribou Country, so they can afford to spend a little more their last two nights. I think

I like the Lonsdale and Granvile because they have a good panorama, and scope of the area. I'm considering the Wedgewood because people seem to love it with a zeal that is unlike anything else.

Another reason I like the Lonsdale location is because it will be more convenient after a 5 hour drive, and I worry about them navigating in an unfamiliar city, but they always seem to do just fine. Also I think it is so cute that they can take the little ferry over to the city. We don't have those things here in the midwest.

Anybody ever stayed at the Granville, or the Lonsdale Quay?

Thanks

April Apr 10th, 2005 10:33 AM

No, I have only ever stayed at the Wedgewood. How nice of you to plan this trip for your parents.

A couple of comments about the ranch part though - it took my husband and I longer than five hours to drive to a ranch in the Cariboo, although we were driving from the coast through Hope. They should plan for any sort of weather. When we were there in June it was sometimes warmish but mostly cool - downright cold in the cabin without a fire. There was also hail, which my little horse didn't like too much!

Granville Island is as you describe. There was also a nice model museum when we were there last (a couple of years ago).

klam_chowder Apr 10th, 2005 02:48 PM

From what you've described, my order would be:

- Granville Island
- Wedgewood
- Lonsdale Quay

Gr. Island would have all the things that your folks would like. Lots to see and poke around shops, galleries, a few good restaurants to choose from right there too. Plus they could take the little harbour ferry (False Creek Ferries) to the Burrard side and go for a walk down the beach that way if they wanted, heading all the way to English Bay if they wanted a longer walk. Or take the ferry to the Maritime Museum if they are into that.

The Wedgewood is quite different an environment since it is right downtown. A lovely place, as the reviews you have read indicate. If they wanted, they could always take the seabus to Lonsdale Quay for an afternoon. I really can't see someone taking more than a full afternoon (even at a leisurely pace) at LQuay.

To me, the Lonsdale area is very nice as well, but much smaller. I think they will "run out" of things to do unless they cross to downtown Vancouver via the Seabus (a very easy commute).

How wonderful in helping your folks plan part of their trip...hope they have a great one!

cheriann Apr 11th, 2005 12:57 AM

Thank You April,
I will pass along your comments to my parents.

By the way which ranch did you stay at? It must have been the Flying U?
How did you like it? you didn't sound overly enthused about your experience.

cheriann Apr 11th, 2005 01:12 AM

Thanks K.C. for your insight.

I was thinking that if they stayed at the lonsdale they would take the ferry over to Vancouver and spend much of the day there. And that they could also have the option of going up to Grouse mountain at the end of the day or driving to deep cove, if they are not feeling very big city.

I have not yet researched what is near the area where the ferries dock in Vacouver and how far that area is from the Granville Island ferries and the shops in the West end. So I will have to check that out.

Thanks for the maritime museum suggestion I will look into that.

Meesthare Apr 11th, 2005 06:13 AM

We've stayed both at the Granville Island Hotel and the Wedgewood. The only problem with staying at the Granville Island is the traffic. It's a very busy area, and car traffic coming in and out of there is horrendous. If they stay at the Wedgewood (you might have read my numerous previous posts that praise the place to the skies, so I need not elaborate here) they can walk down Hornby Street for about 10 minutes and catch the little ferry (Aquabus) over to Granville Island. It takes about 5 minutes and there's no car traffic to deal with. The walk back up Hornby does involve one fairly steep hill, but if they're in reasonable shape it shouldn't be too daunting.

April Apr 11th, 2005 08:41 AM

Oops, sorry if I didn't sound enthused about the Flying U. I thought it was fun! Definitely rustic - the place is like a historical museum. I love the fact that you can ride off on your own for hours and through some beautiful country too. The owners and staff are friendly and they matched me up with a good horse. Some people go there year after year.

I was nearing the barn when the hail started. My horse suddenly spun around 180 degrees and headed for the trees as if to say, "Well if you're too stupid to get out of this stuff, I'll have to take matters into my own hands!" You gotta love horses... well I do anyway.

BowenLinda Apr 11th, 2005 11:26 AM

Take a peek at http://www.greatervancouverhotels.co...ctions-map.htm for an overview of downtown Vancouver. Just keep in mind that it shows just a FEW of the hotels and attractions. It should help out with orienting yourself, though.

cheriann Apr 11th, 2005 01:33 PM

April-I am so interested. I've never come across anyone who has stayed at the flying U before.

They are going to be there beginning June 11th. Was that around the time you were there with the coolish temps? At least there were probably not a lot mesquite’s then?

How were the sheets, bedding, towels?
Is there anything you wished you had but did not while you were there?

I am thinking about sending a surprise package to the ranch with thick luxurious bedding and champagne.
Having been there what do you think? Any other ideas?

April Apr 11th, 2005 11:44 PM

Cheriann, we arrived there right around that time. Will get back to you on the rest - just have to get to bed now.

April Apr 13th, 2005 12:21 AM

"Is there anything you wished you had but did not while you were there?"

I was glad to have my hooded Gortex jacket but I wish I'd had proper riding boots. The other thing I would take next time is gloves - even simple cloth garden ones for handling firewood. I was forever getting soot on my hands. It's hard not to get dirty so I, personally, wouldn't want to take nice bedding. The accommodations are very simple with functional bedding and towels. We were fortunate to have had 'the dorm' which has its own bathroom - I never even had a look at the central showers. Floors can get dirty too especially around the stove so cheap or washable slippers might be an idea.

There were little bugs that didn't look like mosquitos... and swallows eating them.

Rides takes place in the morning and afternoon, or kitchen staff will pack a lunch so you can go all day. I liked riding on my own but also with others who had been there before and knew the trails. It's a good idea to stick to the trails because of the gopher (or whatever) holes. Your parents will probably hear ravens and might come across a coyote or fox and see trees cut down by beavers. It can also be fun to hang out by the barn if horse training is going on.

Meals are communal and times are set. Staying at the ranch is like taking a step back in time, yet you can meet people there from all over the world.

cheriann Apr 13th, 2005 10:57 PM

Thanks for the information. Interesting and useful.
Did your cabin have a toilet too, or just a shower?
Maybe I should look into reqesting that cabin, I wasn't aware that any of the cabins had bathrooms(?).

April Apr 14th, 2005 12:32 AM

Yes, toilet and shower. We were able to get that cabin because they weren't busy at the time, but they wouldn't guarantee that we could have it. It has more than one bedroom, so a larger group would likely get preference.

cheriann Apr 14th, 2005 09:20 PM

April,
One more question and I will leave you alone I swear.
Were you able to use the lake for any recreational purposes like swimming, or canoeing or boating or anything?
Did anybody else?
That's all thanks so much!

April Apr 15th, 2005 09:39 AM

You don't have to leave me alone. We did not use the lake (which is across the road from the ranch) or see anyone else using it. It looked too cold and choppy... but it was pretty in the sunshine.

sohara Apr 15th, 2005 10:05 AM

Ok here is my 2 cents: I have stayed at all three hotels. My suggestion is to stay at the Wedgewood, which is a cosy, first class boutique hotel right downtown - they offer valet parking so it is easy to navigate. For only 2 nights in Vancouver it is in the centre of the 3 locations and would be very easy to take a cab to the aquabus and go across to spend a day at Granville Island, or perhaps an afternoon with dinner and a play. Next day cab to the seabus downtown and go for a short ride to explore Lonsdale Quay (this won't take more than a couple of hours) and they could enjoy the scenery both ways from the water.

IMHO I would go for the luxury and pampering of the Wedgewood, and the superior restaurant and service.

sohara Apr 15th, 2005 10:09 AM

P.S. Ferries to Vancouver Island dock in Tsawassen and at Horseshoe Bay - both are too far from the city centre if you only have 2 nights.

The Granville Island "ferry" is a tiny commuter aquabus for foot passengers and takes about 5 minutes from Hornby Street.

ashandsarah Apr 15th, 2005 10:53 AM

Would have to say the Wedgewood, though admittedly have not stayed at the other hotels. My partner and I stayed at the wedgewood last autumn and loved the oak-panelled walls, great bar, and excellent service. We stayed in the wedgewood suite which was very comfortable. Nice and central as well. Very nice and up-scale. Would highly reccomend.