Vancouver Island Trip Report - Part 4

Sep 25th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Vancouver Island Trip Report - Part 4

Sidney and the Saanich Peninsula:

On our previous trip to Vancouver Island we spent a lot of time in Victoria (great city BTW) - so this time we decided instead to concentrate on the Saanich Peninsula for our last couple of days.

On our trip from Parksville to Sidney (where we stayed), we pretty much stuck to the highway, stopping briefly at a White Spot for lunch (local chain that serves decent food). The veggie burger was really quite good. We took the Malahat instead of the ferry and enjoyed some of the great views.

Our hotel in Sidney - Wyndam Travel Lodge - was what we expected. It was conveniently located near the airport. The included continental breakfast was adequate and the "breakfast ladies" did a good job keeping the area well stocked. Our room was very large and clean. We got to use the outdoor pool once before it was closed for the season. The hotel gave us 20% off coupons for the pub next door and we had a great lunch there.

We loved Sidney - a very pretty well-kept town with lovely parks and gardens and a great seaside walk. The sculpture park at the end of Beacon street is quite charming with witty sculptures and lots of seating with gorgeous ocean views. There were a couple of excellent used book stores and lots of other shops. Our only regret was not having enough time to check out the aquarium which looked interesting. We had another lunch at the Five and Dime Diner - which appears like a traditional diner but had some interesting menu items and lots of specialty coffees. We enjoyed it.

We drove around the Saanich Peninsula stopping at whatever interested us. Island View beach was lovely but the tide was in - so I could not take my rollator out. My husband had a nice walk while I watched the fishing birds. We drove up to the viewpoint in Mt. Tolmie Park - definitely worth it for the 360 degree views (Victoria, mountains in the distance and the peninsula.
We also went to Todd Gowland Provincial park - I did one of the easy trails up to an outlook and my husband took a longer circle.

On one of our drives around the peninsula, we stopped at Adrienne's Tea Room at Mattick's Farm in the Cordova Bay area. We had a great lunch (huge Ploughman's platter). I could not resist one of their scones - it was yummy. There is a good gift shop in the little complex and I bought some winter gloves for myself (more stylish than I usually get but they actually fit! I have small hands and gloves can be a challenge to find.)

It was a good relaxed way to end our vacation.

The End
Sep 25th, 2018, 02:55 PM

Very enjoyable read about what sounds like a very enjoyable trip. Thank you.

Search this Thread