Vancouver Island Trip Report - Part 3

Old Sep 24th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver Island Trip Report - Part 3

Next stop - Parksville

We had a very nice drive from Ucluelet to Parksville. Road work delayed us by about 1/2 hour but we were in no hurry. Since the weather was good, we stopped twice - at Sproat Lake - very nice provincial park and at Cathedral Grove - VERY busy but well worth the stop, we walked and rollated along the trail and the giant trees were suitably impressive.

In Parksville, we stayed at the Tigh-Na-Mara resort - a bit disappointing but the location next to Rathtrevor Beach is great. We had stayed there a few years ago and had a great time but this time we felt that the resort has gone downhill a bit. You pay premium prices to stay there and so expect a certain level of maintenance etc. We stayed in one of the cabins in the wood. The setting was nice and the wood burning fireplace was great BUT the bathroom was VERY tired looking (rust stain in the tub for example) and frankly the cabin could have been cleaner and really smelled A LOT of doggy. The indoor pool was heated just enough but once again the area could have used some refreshing. We had friends also staying at the resort. They had a premium ocean view unit. The view really was to die for but once again a few things could use some work - like the carpet and bathroom. Bottom line, if we go back to that area, we will probably stay at a different resort. It simply was not worth the premium price that was paid for the view.

We walked on Rathtrevor Beach and drove around the area a lot. We were in Nanaimo to pick up our friends from the ferry and are considering staying there or near Ladysmith the next time we visit.
The Yellow Point area was quite appealing.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 08:46 AM

i agree with you about Tigh na Mara.. but then you stayed in those cabins and they allow pets in some of them.. and mostly families use them so I think kids are hard on stuff.. plus of course they are old and not updated.. We now stay in the Spa Side bungalows.. they are in better shape as they are a bit newer..
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 06:53 PM

I agree about Tigh Na Mara, I always suggest other accommodations instead . The units are all individually owned so it is up to the owner what upgrades to do, unless voted on as a group. It is always busy though, so it would get a lot of wear and tear as mentioned above by kids and dogs.