Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver Island: Sooke or Tofino (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-island-sooke-or-tofino-1066834/)

mahadana Aug 6th, 2015 08:36 AM

Vancouver Island: Sooke or Tofino

Spending 3 nights on Salt Spring Island then 3 nights on the island before the last 3 nights in Victoria. Undecided about staying at Sooke Harbour House or somewhere else in Tofino or Ucluelet. Was leaning toward Sooke as it would eliminate a long drive, if the scenery and experience is somewhat comparable. Care to weigh in?

ltt Aug 7th, 2015 08:09 AM

i can't really compare because i haven't been to sooke (yet!!) and have been to tofino / ucluelet. it is absolutely beautiful. but, i do agree with you that that is a lot of driving time and you need to add the ferry time in there too. if you think you may be able to come back some day, i'd save tofino for the next trip.

Digbydog Aug 8th, 2015 12:13 PM

I've never been to Sooje, but Tofino is spectacular. The Pacific Rim National Park has gorgeous beaches, and there are some nice kayaking trips. Also, good places to eat.

We visited Victoria, and I don't ever need to return. I think it is extremely touristy. I can't imagine what I would do there for 3 days.

SusanMargaret Aug 9th, 2015 07:17 AM

I agree about the drive up to Tofino, but there are several very good stops on the way - Cathedral Grove, Coombe market (goats on the roof), view of the Malahat, Waterfalls (don't remember the name, but it was a very pretty park and we had a picnic there a couple of weeks ago). We went from Victoria with our son and granddaughter and they swam in a river about an hour out of Tofino (lots of cars parked by the side of the road, so hard to miss). Tofino is stunning and if you want to try surfing that would be the place. I had dinner at Sooke Harbour House in October and it is wonderful. The food and location are amazing. You have a hard choice. I'd go to Tofino and have dinner at Sooke Harbour House when you are in Victoria, it's not a long drive, less than an hour.

live42day Aug 10th, 2015 02:39 PM

Sooke and Tofino are very different. They are both wonderful, but you have to decide if you want to do the drive to Tofino or not.
From Salt Spring you could take the ferry to Crofton, no need to go back to Victoria. That brings you about half way to Nanaimo and eliminates a back and forth to /from Sidney and Victoria.
From there it is around 3 or 3 1/2 hours drive to Tofino. If you stop , which I recommend, on the way it will take a bit longer of course.
I agree with the above, go to Tofino and a day trip/dinner to Sooke

lizzie_may Aug 10th, 2015 10:41 PM

Sooke is less big but worth every second! I 'd also go to Tofino and do a daytrip!

elnap29 Aug 11th, 2015 08:12 PM

Tofino is wonderful, but the drive is always longer than you think. You will definitely want to stop along the way: lunch at Coombs Store, walk to Little Qualicum Falls, Cathedral Grove. Our drive was 7 hours each way with a couple of stops.

I haven't been to Sooke, but I'm sure it would be a lovely experience if you are spending time in Victoria. We were fascinated by the Royal BC Museum; the third floor exhibit on the history, languages, and cultures of the First Nations people is essential information.