Vancouver Island-Pacific Rim

Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Vancouver Island-Pacific Rim

We plan to have a week in Vancouver and would like to go to the pacific rim. I will be bringing my husband and daughter (5 yrs). I would like to know which part of the rim is the most child friendly, where to stay,how far is this from downtown vancouver and how to get there. Thanks much in advance!
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:21 AM

Downtown Vancouver to Pacific Rim:

Downtown Vancouver to Horsehoe Bay ferry terminal = 30 minutes or more depending on traffic

Ferry from Horsehoe Bay to Nanaimo = 1 hr 40 minutes (more or less)

Drive Nanaimo to Pacific Rim = approximately 3 hours

Pacific Rim National Park is rugged and beautiful - Long Beach is very long, as the name implies . A little girl would have lots of fun collecting seashells & driftwood, building sandcastles etc. The water is cold though, so only the tough usually go in the Pacific for a swim.
Tofino (a small coastal town just north of Pacific Rim National Park) has a good selection of accommodation including inns, cabins, campgrounds and B&Bs.
Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:16 AM

Just wanted to add - here's the website with accommodation descriptions (and some links) for Tofino:

http://www.tofinolodging.worldweb.com/

We have stayed at Pacific Sands Beach Resort (some years ago) and found it very family friendly; we have also "looked over" Crystal Cove Beach Resort (we had a tour of the accommodation from the manager during a slow time /low season!!) - and will definitely stay in one of their cabins on a future visit to the Pacific rim.

Hope this helps!!
Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:10 PM

Accommodations on the West Coast of the Island of require advance reservations and a minimum 2 night stay so choose carefully.
http://www.tofino-bc.com/
Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your info. I didnt know that the pacific rim was that far. Is there any place closer perhaps to Downtown Vancouver or victoria that has nice scenery, beaches or lake. Ive been to victoria already and seen the empress hotel, butchart,etc so Im hoping that there is some other place that i could go see but perhaps maybe an hr or so drive from the city proper.

Thanks!
Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:04 PM

Harrison Hot Springs is about a 2.0 (?) hour drive from Vancouver. It's a small tourist town located on Harrison Lake with a family friendly resort and hot springs, of course. Craig Bay at Parksville is a fabulous shallow beach, ringed by resorts, about 20 mins. north of Nanaimo (see Borealis' directions re ferry, etc.). Whistler is an all-season resort a 1.5 hour drive from Vancouver, with everything from skiing to hiking to mountain biking to swimming, with several lakes and breathtaking scenery. But perhaps you could tell us when you are planning to travel to Vancouver? You're planning to rent a car? Cheers, Linda
Mar 24th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks linda..I will find out more abt the places you suggested. My only concern is the the road condition..are these very steep areas already (whistler) ..but nanaimo should be ok i guess.. We are planning to travel late may of this year..thanks to all for the response
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Is pacific shores resort & spa a good place to stay in? any other hotel recom. in or close to Nanaimo? How about hotels in the harrison springs?
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Nanaimo has very little on offer for the visitor-it's a blue collar town full of malls and little else.If you do a search on nearby Qualicum or Parksville you'll find all sorts of info in the Archives here.
One option for access to Vancouver Island is to take the high speed passenger only Ferry http://www.harbourlynx.com to Nanaimo and rent a car there-you'll definitely save some time.

As to 'road condition' to Whistler that is never a concern in May.