Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver Island mid/late March ~ are we crazy?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-island-mid-late-march-are-we-crazy-681832/)

wrenwood Feb 21st, 2007 01:18 PM

Vancouver Island mid/late March ~ are we crazy??

Are we crazy to think of going to Vancouver Island in mid to late March? Will it be cold and rainy? Has anyone been at that time of the year, will the gray whales be migrating?

NWWanderer Feb 21st, 2007 01:31 PM

Do you mean the west coast, like Tofino, or another part of Vancouver Island such as Victoria (it's quite a large island)? I went to Tofino for Christmas and have visited at different times of the year and I think it's well worth the trip no matter what the weather--storm watching is part of the fun if you're there when the weather's bad!

And yes, if you're out on the west coast, the gray whale migration should be happening then. I believe Tofino's whale festival happens in late March.

eagle3 Feb 21st, 2007 03:35 PM

Your not crazy, it is beautiful at any time of the year. It never really gets that warm either, even in the summer depending on what you are used to. I was in Tofino/Ucluelet at Christmas as well and it rained, but there were some beautiful days too. Yes there will be grey whales :)

almcd Feb 22nd, 2007 07:13 AM

This is an excellent time to go. The blossoms are all out, some two months ahead of the rest of Canada. Don't expect too much from Butchart Gardens, but the temperature will be very pleasant. Many retired people from Ontario go to Victoria for the whole month of March.

icithecat Feb 22nd, 2007 10:32 PM

Many retired people from Ontario go to Victoria for the rest of their lives. Today had a high of 12C with full sun for a few hours. The snowdrops are fading and the crocus are in bloom. The Camelias and Magnolias are budding and should be in full bloom in a couple of weeks.

Meesthare Feb 24th, 2007 11:15 AM

We've got daffodils and crocuses, and our snowdrops are still in good shape. One of the rhododendron trees on the UVic campus has some blossoms on it already, and apparently the official Victoria Flower Count starts on February 28th.

nbujic Feb 24th, 2007 01:57 PM

don' know about March, but in early June ( when we visited) Victoria was cool, windy and gray.

Carmanah Feb 24th, 2007 10:40 PM

The reality is that it can be cold, windy and grey any time of the year on Vancouver Island. It's just a part of the island's climate - it's essentially a rainforest climate, with a few pockets here and there statistically less wet.

March, as others have said, is as good a time as any. It may or may not be cold and rainy. I suppose it also depends on your definition of cold. If you're from Florida, then Vancouver Island will feel cold any time of the year. If you're from a northern climate, than March is actually warmer on Vancouver Island than most places in northern North America.

Since you'll always be chancing the rain on Vancouver Island, I'd just say go with it.

wrenwood Feb 26th, 2007 11:40 AM

Thanks guys, I think right now rain would be preferable to snow! We are thinking of the Tofino area, not Victoria, anyone have some preferences as to accomodations? Nice inn or B&B on the ocean?

Wrenwood

NWWanderer Feb 26th, 2007 12:27 PM

Middle Beach Lodge is my favorite place to stay. It's not quite as luxe as either the Wick or Long Beach Lodge, but it feels more authentically "Tofino-ish" to me (and it's still quite a nice place).

If your budget permits, get one of the cabins with your own hot tub on the deck overlooking the ocean--now *that's* a nice way to spend time when it's stormy out!

mmb23 Mar 2nd, 2007 04:44 PM

Two years ago in early April, we honeymooned at the Wickanninish (sp?) in Tofino. It was rainy and cool, but we just bundled up in gear and hiked our hearts out. It was absolutely beautiful, and not as crowded as it would be in summer.
I think it all depends on your comfort threshold, and your expectations.
Hope the trip goes well!