Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver Island in 8 day (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-island-in-8-day-1095389/)

KirkL Apr 17th, 2016 04:52 AM

Vancouver Island in 8 day

Spending 3 nights in Brentwood Bay, 3 nights in Victoria and 2 nights in Tofino. The main point of the trip is Butchart Gardens. Looking for more gardens and interesting side trips. The trip will be in early May.

live42day Apr 17th, 2016 08:08 AM

I am not sure why 3 nights in brentwood bay?? You could easily do Butchart Gardens from Victoria. I would spend another night in Tofino.
Are you coming and going from Victoria? So then two days of travelling to/from Tofino
If you give me your arrival and departure information I may be of more help.
Will you be renting a car? Is there jet lag involved?

Fodorite018 Apr 17th, 2016 12:06 PM

When we went to Butchart Gardens, we did that in the morning and then in the afternoon did a float plane tour. That went over the gardens and it was wonderful to see them from the air! Great way to split up the day too.

sludick Apr 17th, 2016 03:07 PM

Agree, extra night in Tofino.

KirkL Apr 19th, 2016 05:59 AM

Flying into Victoria Saturday afternoon on the 30th. Was suppose to stay in a timeshare in the Parkville area, but decided against it. I am staying in a timeshare/hotel in downtown Victoria for 3 nights, but I could see if I could change it to just two night and add a 3 night in Tofino. We leaving on a late night flight on the 8th. My wife really enjoys gardens and taking shorts hikes.

sludick Apr 19th, 2016 06:49 AM

In downtown Victoria, you wouldn't happen to be staying at the WorldMark, are you? If so, it is one of our favorites. And what about Brentwood Bay? I've never actually stayed in Brentwood Bay, it's just too close to Victoria to stay in both places. It's probably only 40 minutes from downtown Victoria to Butchart Gardens.

KirkL Apr 19th, 2016 09:20 AM

In Brentwood Bay we are staying at the Brentwood Bay Resort, in Victoria Parkside Victoria Resort. Using RCI points for that one. I couldn't decide between Brentwood Bay and Sooke after the timeshare in Parksville look like it was closing.

live42day Apr 19th, 2016 02:30 PM

are you talking about Pacific Shores in Parksville? I know they have been having problems but haven't heard they were closing. Gorgeous place by the way.
I would just limit my stay to Victoria and Tofino and travel from these two places to see all that you want to see. Brentwood bay is nice, but for the time you have here I would not chop it up.
There is a botanical garden in Tofino as well if your wife is interested in gardens.

sunbum1944 Apr 19th, 2016 06:53 PM

Government House has lovely gardens in Victoria.

KirkL Apr 20th, 2016 03:56 PM

Thanks everyone for their comments. Live42day, I do believe it was Pacific Shores. I just didn't want to mess with it. I know I chopped it up to much, but at first I was trying to use timeshare points, but really want to see Tofino. We will have fun, can't and won't have time to see it all.

AnnaDanishek Apr 26th, 2016 11:19 PM

You'd better to spend more time in Tofino

mdinbc May 3rd, 2016 02:29 PM

hello,
I'm not sure where you are departing too and from, but if you are in Brentwood Bay you can take a ferry to Saltspring Island and spend the day touring. It is lovely and the ferry ride itself is scenic. You can depart on the opposite side of the island (Vesuvius Bay) towards Crofton and then carry on up-island toward Tofino. There are plenty of sights along the way.
We did this once and spent the day travelling and stopping at all sorts of lovely spots.
there is good informtion on hellobc.com