Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver island but rural, not Victoria (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-island-but-rural-not-victoria-74818/)

Karen Jun 5th, 2000 12:13 AM

Vancouver island but rural, not Victoria

We want to travel to Vancouver island for about 5 days (but don't like cities so forget Victoria). We like to hike and will have dogs with us. No camping though as my friend doesn't like that. We love nature and beaches and day hikes of 8 miles or less a day. Have heard good things about Sooke and Tofino areas. I'd love to see posts from people who have been to Vancouver island and have any input on day hiking, motels that accept pets or beautiful beaches you have seen. <BR>

sheri Jun 5th, 2000 06:51 AM

Sooke is nice, but I'd choose Tofino in a heartbeat. I've done most of the hikes in Pacific Rim National Park, and visited most of the beaches there, and they're all lovely...my favorite is probably Florencia (aka Wreck) Beach. I can't help you with places that take pets however. Maybe if you call the Tofino Chamber of Commerce? <BR>

alex Jun 5th, 2000 08:56 AM

Karen - We were in Vancouver Island in April and (other than Victoria), spent all our time in the Pacific Rim - at Tofino. Just the clear ocean air, rain! and beaches would make it a worthwhile trip. Long Beach and the rainforest fringing the beaches nearby as well as Meares Island (giant trees) reached easily from Tofino are good. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately we only had a full day there - spent two half days travelling to and from the east coast, but it was worth it. Tofino itself is nothing special but has most of what you would need. Also, you might want to check out whale watching there - we did, although it was a bit disappointing as the main migration had passed. The main problem is the rain though.

April Jun 5th, 2000 12:27 PM

It can get foggy too, but here's another vote for Tofino - Long Beach. Your choices are limited with dogs but according to the BC accommodations guide some places accept pets. Best to check, though, on how many and what size of pet. <BR> <BR>In Tofino try: <BR>Chelsea's B&B, Crab Dock Guest House, Gull Cottage B&B, Tofino Swell Lodge ("some pets"). <BR> <BR>In Ucluelet: <BR>Fletcher's Cove B&B ("pets outside only"), Island West Fishing Resort.

KW Jul 6th, 2000 10:52 PM

I live in Victoria, and have travelled most of Vancouver Island....I would recommend at least a quick tour of Victoria. We're a small city, and definitely dog-friendly!! Walk your dogs along the Dallas Rd. waterfront near Beacon Hill Park & the Strait of Juan de Fuca. <BR> <BR>As for more outdoorsy stuff...I'd recommend Rathtrevor Beach in Parksville...Campbell River (see Elk Falls!!)...and if you want to go really out-of-the-way, go to Port McNeill. It's a small town near the top of the island, but it's nice. Take the ferry to Alert Bay and/or Sointula on nearby islands. Port McNeill is a great place to go whale watching. <BR> <BR>Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions.