Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-island-943920/)

pachet Jul 23rd, 2012 03:09 AM

Vancouver Island

My husband and I ( both 60yrs) have the opportunity of exchanging Accor points for one week on Vancouver Island in April/May 2013, before we do an Alaskan cruise and the Rockies. The two properties suggested are " Sunrise Ridge Resort" at Parksville, British Columbia or "Worldmark", Victoria, British Columbia. Anyone have suggestions if one is in a better position to get public transport, or is a hire car a must? Is it possible to do a day trip to Seattle? Is it easy to get to Vancouver on the ferries?
Thank you for your help in advance, and love to get feed back.

Pachet

sludick Jul 23rd, 2012 05:22 AM

The Victoria Worldmark is in Victoria very near Fisherman's Wharf and the Inner Harbour, including the ferry terminal. Public transportation should be easily accessible.

I would think you'd need a car for Parksville.

It would be easy to get to Vancouver on the ferry, but once you are on the mainland you would need transportation to downtown. Have always had a car, but others can advise on the public transportation options from the ferry terminals to the cruise terminal.

immimi Jul 23rd, 2012 08:36 AM

...it may be 'possible' to do a day trip to Seattle from
Victoria but it is 'probable' that it wouldn't be an enjoyable
one! After the time spent getting there and back you would
have a very short, rushed stay. Unless you flew of course...

I'd concentrate on visiting Vancouver and the Rockies for ths
trip; combined with your cruise the combo should make a very
enjoyable vacation. Vancouver Island is worth its own trip.

Melaine Jul 27th, 2012 05:54 PM

My husband and I were in Vancouver about 2 years ago, and we Loved it. There was so much to see and everyone was so friendly and chatty.

Their trolly system, little bus-like things, take you all over for just a little fee. You can use these, I believe buy a daypass and get anywhere you want. The little island at the end of Vancouver (darn if I can think of the name in my "senior moment" seems like it began with a "G" ) -- anyway, it was very impressive and had a large market that sold all kinds of food, flowers, cheeses, meats, artistic items, knitted hats, purses, and was not cheap like a flea market, but more like Pike's Market in Seattle. The variety of flowers was awesome.

I will kick myself when the name of the market pops up in my brain..sorry. But the entire area, including places to sit, people watch, have a beer or soda, listen to live music and various entertainment. You can get on a little tug-boat-looking tour boat and see the waterfront (nice). It was fun.

Victoria was great, too. I particularly enjoyed Buchart Gardens and did not feel it was like an AARP Retirement Village. We just needed more time there, there was so much beauty to see.

Have fun and enjoy the sights.

Meesthare Jul 27th, 2012 09:09 PM

Melaine, are you thinking of Granville Island?

ltt Aug 30th, 2012 12:12 PM

you'd need a car if staying in parksville. parksville is more central.
if staying in victora, you could probably get around for 2-3 days on public transportation but i'd rent a car for a couple of days to go exploring more remote places, parks, other towns. i personally wouldn't want to stay an entire week in victoria. if you could split your time between the two...that would be ideal.
ferry from victoria to vancouver is a beautiful ride and getting from the vancouver/twassen ferry terminal to downtown is easy on public transportation.

April Aug 30th, 2012 10:33 PM

The bus depot in Victoria is not far from Worldmark. It's easy to get a bus over to Vancouver - luggage stays in locked compartments on the bus during the ferry trip. There are usually some buses that go direct to the cruise ships.

A quick, fun way to get to Seattle from Victoria's Inner Harbour is by float plane (Kenmore Air), but it's expensive.