Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver Hotel - Sutton Place or Westin Bay Shore? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-hotel-sutton-place-or-westin-bay-shore-397702/)

lindsyb Feb 10th, 2004 05:14 PM

Vancouver Hotel - Sutton Place or Westin Bay Shore?

I am traveling on a Princess cruise and would like to add on a day at the end of my cruise to stay in Vancouver. They have an "add-on" that would be at either Sutton Place or the Westin Bay Shore. Any input or feedback on either of these hotels? Thank you.

Gardyloo Feb 10th, 2004 06:47 PM

1. Sutton Place
2. Westin

By a wide margin.

Location, amenities, proximity to other things...

GaryA Feb 10th, 2004 07:10 PM

Actually it's not quite that simple. Although the Sutton Place is a well deserved 5 Diamond Hotel as compared to Wetin Bayshore's 4 diamonds, the location and setting are very different and I would guess just as important.

The Sutton Place is located almost in the heart of the downtown shopping district. From your door it's only short blocks to the chic Robson Street shops or the more prosaic Pacific Centre Mall or the sleazy but fun Granville Mall. The views from the upper floors could be great but some could be blocked by taller buildings in the vicinity.

The Westin Bayshore is almost a resort hotel located right next to Stanley Park and right on Coal Harbour. It's famous as the place you can arrive in by air, land or sea and it's true there are yachts and seaplanes tied up at the Hotel's wharf. It's in the midst of a very busy residential area with over 50,000 people, (primarily yuppies, seniors and gays), living in a 2 K radius so the street life is very frenetic. From your door you can stroll the busy harbour, wander in a dense forest or explore Manhatten style neighbourhoods. The water and park views are fantastic and although you are a good 2 k's from the heart of downtown there is a free shuttle service for the guests.

Frankly for a real 'Vancouver' experiance I would choose the Bayshore. But you certainly wouldn't be disappointed with the Sutton Place either. Also 24 hours is not nearly enough to experiance Vancouver even if you stayed awake the whole time.

Francie Feb 10th, 2004 08:21 PM

Dear Lind,
Sutton Place was our choice of hotel after a 3-day cruise. Excellent location close to shops and restaurants within few blocks walking distance. Note: SP puts on a succulant Sunday Brunch to die for.

April Feb 10th, 2004 11:29 PM

You can stay in great hotels just about anywhere, but everywhere doesn't have Vancouver views! I stayed in downtown Vancouver with a view of buildings (and the smell of car exhaust) once and will never do it again. It could have been any hotel in any city. Therefore, unless Sutton offered some good ocean/mountain view rooms, I would pick the Bayshore.

BowenLinda Feb 13th, 2004 09:05 PM

Every year I check into the Bayshore for 2 or 3 nights, and have fun doing the "city" thing. I was born in Vancouver and now live on an island about 1 hour out of downtown Vancouver. Choose the Sutton if you want close(r) proximity to shopping and restaurants, but choose the Bayshore if you want the Vancouver experience of ocean, mountains, parkland, and still close to shopping, restaurants, galleries, etc. (But specify a view room!). Have a great time! Cheers, Linda

lindsyb Feb 15th, 2004 06:05 PM

Thank you all for your help. It was a tough decision but we have decided on the Bay Shore. Will post and let you know how it goes, but we're not going until May. Thanks again.