Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver hotel question (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-hotel-question-687776/)

Meesthare Mar 14th, 2007 07:52 AM

Vancouver hotel question

We're planning an overnight stay in Vancouver (we live in Victoria) because we have an event to attend at the Century Plaza Hotel. Not sure whether to stay there or to stay at the Sylvia, which we like a lot. It would really just be a convenience issue. I've read mixed reviews about the Century Plaza; most of the negative ones were written before they renovated, however. There seem to be some concerns about the safety of the parking lot area. Does anyone have any advice for us?

BAK Mar 14th, 2007 08:43 AM

Two thoughts... the Sylvia is a really cool place according to everyone I know who has stayed there. These people tend to be authors and publishers, not finance managers nor computr technicians.

So, there's something to be said for cool, and you already like the place.

Add to this... how much do you want to be around the other folks at the same function?

Meesthare Mar 14th, 2007 08:49 AM

Good points, BAK. We don't expect to have much contact with the other folks at the event - it's not a family party or anything like that. I suspect they're mostly locals who will be going home at the end of the evening.

We usually stay at the Sylvia, but again, rarely have any contact with the other guests - maybe we're just antisocial! It's more a matter of whether the Century Plaza is an OK place to lay our weary heads that night, or whether it's going to be too noisy (it's very near a hospital and there will be sirens for sure). There have been comments on tripadvisor and epinions to the effect that the parking lot isn't well-patrolled and there are frequent break-ins. We never leave anything in the car, of course, but I don't enjoy having my windows smashed.

Vorkuta Mar 14th, 2007 11:17 AM

I'm with BAK - can't see any reason to stay at the Century Plaza. You already know the Sylvia, you know the area...as far as I can see, the only reason to stay at the CP would be so that you can go to bed straight after the event. A convenience issue, in other words, as you yourself acknowledge.

I live about mid-way between the CP and the Sylvia and would put my money on the Sylvia any day.

Meesthare Mar 14th, 2007 01:18 PM

Thanks, Vorkuta - both you and BAK make sense. We were thinking it would just be nice to go upstairs to bed rather than making our way (not far, of course) back to the Sylvia, but we're getting good advice here.

guardina Mar 17th, 2007 10:20 PM

Stayed at the Sylvia and enjoyed it (always requesting the room that doesn't have the really small bathroom). Wanted to try the Century Plaza but haven't yet - just heard the other day from someone who did stay there and said it was no screaming heck. So I'd stick with the Sylvia. The restaurants serves a decent breakfast too. (Unless you want to cab over to Diva at the Met which has a fantastic breakfast.)