Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Granville Island Hotel or Ramada (or other recommendations)

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Vancouver in Aug. for a wedding. Groom's family is suggesting the Granville Island Hotel or the Ramada on W. Broadway.

Any thoughts about either place? The GI is the more expensive one -- worth it?

Or do you have other recommendations? The wedding cerermony is at W. 7th Ave. and Maple, and the reception is at the BrockHouse Restaurant on Point Grey Road, so we're looking for something convenient to those spots.
Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:21 PM

I'm not familiar with the Ramada, but we have stayed at the Granville Island Hotel a few times. I don't think (I'm prepared to be corrected on this) that it's anywhere near Point Grey Road. It is a nice hotel in a very interesting and pleasant location, but there is a lot of traffic going in and out of the area. Especially if the wedding is on a weekend, you would have to allow lots and lots of time to get there. Will you have a rental car? There's really only one access road off Granville Island and the traffic can be incredible some days. Another way to get on and off the island is by water taxi, which is much quicker and easier; it takes you to the foot of Hornby Street where there are some hotels and you might be able to grab a taxi.
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I've stayed at the Ramada before for a conference. It's only okay (nothing interesting/special about it at all). I'd only want to stay there if I couldn't find anything else.

Re: GI - never stayed there but my BIL has and seemed to quite like it. It is definitely a nicer hotel than the Ramada.

I agree with the previous poster about GI possible transportation tie ups. But, I wouldn't base my entire accomms decision on that factor.

If you plan to do other things than go to the wedding while you are in town, the GI is in a wonderful location with lots of restaurants, artists studios, even theatre to walk to, and in an interesting area.

I would rather stay there with its ambiance than the Ramada.

Just my two bits...enjoy-la!
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:38 PM

As mentioned getting off the Island-which is really a peninsula-is a trial.
I know the Church @ 7th & Maple-it's about a 15 minute walk/5 minute drive from GI and the Ramada is a 15 minute bus ride-less than 10 in a cab.
Brock House is a further 10 minute drive west from the Church.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Looks like we'll go with the GI Hotel, since we plan to stay a few days after the wedding. I'll just prepare to be stuck in some traffic for a bit.