Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver fishing (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-fishing-75798/)

steve Jun 12th, 2000 10:42 AM

Vancouver fishing

Does anyone know the best area in the Vancouver island area for salmon fishing? Also any recommendations for the best companies to use? Thanks!

April Jun 12th, 2000 10:00 PM

Well I really don't know, but I would start looking around the Campbell River area. I believe Bob Hope and/or Bing Crosby used to fish there a lot. Also check out April Point on Quadra Island.

Rod Bender Jun 13th, 2000 10:10 PM

Vancouver Island is a large place,there are all kinds of options available. <BR>generally the 'outside',or area facing the open Pacific,is your best bet,and roughest water. <BR>start at www.sportfishing.bc.ca for more info. <BR>if you have specfic Q's about timing,weather,salmon runs,certain charter operators,etc.,feel free to e-mail me.

Cheryl Jun 14th, 2000 05:55 PM

Try Painter's Lodge and the Campbell River site-- best fishing and a great experience---more lowkey and less classy try the Dolphins also in Campbell River

Rodbender Jun 14th, 2000 10:39 PM

FWIW Campbell River should be a person's LAST choice. <BR>fish vacated the area around CR 10+ years ago,very little left except memories-the reasons are complex,suffice it to say they are NEVER coming back. <BR>all the infrastructure still exists,lodges,guides,rentals,but now outfits like Oak Bay Marine Group sell 'the sizzle,not the salmon',it's just a tourist hustle now,so much so that if you don't catch a fish(very few do even at $500/day)they will give you a FARMED SALMON! <BR>LOL!! <BR>(for those unfamiliar with BC,this is a gross insult to a sportfisherman) <BR>if catching fish is what you want head to West Coast Vancouver Island,if you want to listen to BS about yesteryear while going for a lovely boat ride go to CR. <BR>check out the charters on www.sportfishingbc.com

April Jun 16th, 2000 07:16 AM

That'll teach me to open my mouth on a subject I know nothing about. Interesting though, Rod. Just out of curiosity, is any part of the west coast better than another?

Rodbender Jun 16th, 2000 04:20 PM

do you mean for fishing? <BR>read my original response,WCVI is the best salmon fishing in BC. <BR>other locales,Queen Charlotte Islands,Hakai Pass,have bigger Chinook Salmon but nowhere are they more plentiful. <BR>as stated though 'outside' waters are exposed to the full force of Pacific weather systems,a friend was 'blown off' the ocean at Ucluelet just this past Wednesday,it happens regularly. <BR>Chinook runs are expected to be the smallest in recorded history this year,due to the presence of predatory Chub Mackarel 3&4 years ago,because of the El Nino current. <BR>these fish decimated the smolt salmon who were on their way to the open ocean,very,very few will return to spawn this year,which has resulted in unprecedented closures up&down the coast. <BR>few charter operators will tell you this however,things are always rosy in their world and the 'big'un' just about to bite(!) <BR>failing that'you shoudda been here last week/month/year'! <BR>Buyer Beware!!