Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver dining recs needed (was forced to start another thread) (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-dining-recs-needed-was-forced-to-start-another-thread-420629/)

Wallace_and_Gromit Aug 27th, 2008 02:08 PM

Vancouver dining recs needed (was forced to start another thread)

I tried to post on another thread so that no one would have to tell me I shouldn't have started a new thread ... but no one was answering the old thread! - Some of the similar threads are months (or years old) and when you are talking restaurants, you need current information!

I will be in Vancouver the first 2 weeks in October (my 3rd time) but there are just so many places to eat I don't know where to go!

I will be in a B&B on
Maple St. for a few nights before moving to the West End Guest House on Haro.

I will eat anything (and enjoy it). I will be by myself, so I don't really care about "ambiance" I want a few upscale places ... but mostly casual places (like Shawarma King or any nice cafe) I definitely need a Greek recommendation (NOT Stephos) a good place for soup and an Indian recommendation (Already plan to go back to Vij's so some place else)
I won't have a car - can take the bus but I am disabled so I really don't want to be trekking all over.

Thanks in advance!

Sam_Salmon Aug 27th, 2008 03:59 PM

If it's the place on Maple @ Cornwall then <b>Octopus Garden</b> is right across the road-no better place to start. ((d))
http://www.octopusgarden.ca/

For Greek my all time favourite is <b>Maria's</b> 2324 W 4th Ave across from the Safeway.((b))

Of course you'll have to trek-it's not far-to <b>Go Fish</b> in the parking lot of the Fisherman's Wharf next to Granville Island 1505 W 1st Avenue have the Taco or Burger or special Wrap/Soup very tasty and better for you than F&amp;C.((h))

Wallace_and_Gromit Aug 27th, 2008 04:52 PM

Sam,

I emailed you, but I forgot to ask if the Maria's on Denman was as good as the one on 4th.

Flyboy Aug 27th, 2008 05:53 PM

http://www.joefortes.ca/ :D

dar Aug 27th, 2008 06:11 PM

Kerki's restaurnant on 4th, near Alma! Love it. But a short cab/bus from Maple.

Sam_Salmon Aug 27th, 2008 09:26 PM

&quot;<i>forgot to ask if the Maria's on Denman was as good as the one on 4th.</i>&quot;
Apparently not....((U))

Holldoll Aug 28th, 2008 04:15 AM

I love Joe Fortes restaurant in the central city on Thurlow Street. They have a wonderful roof garden as well. Great food, nice ambience. Website is simply Joefortes.ca.

southernchef Aug 28th, 2008 08:23 AM

We also really enjoyed Joe Fortes. Wonderful fish; wonderful meal and ambience.

ninab Aug 28th, 2008 10:09 AM

Just returned from Vancouver. For dinner, I suggest C Restaurant on False Creek. Very good.

If you're hearty travelers, Salt Tasting Room at 45 Blood Alley, in Gastown but at the edge of a slightly scary area, should not be missed.

Vorkuta Aug 28th, 2008 10:12 AM

For your Indian recommendation, I'd suggest Desi Downtown. It's on the northwest corner of Denman and Barclay (2nd floor), so within very easy walking distance of the guest house on Haro. I don't mean to be insensitive about walking rather than taking the bus; there just isn't a convenient bus route for that distance (about three blocks).

The food is mostly Punjabi. We go there often (living as we do within shouting distance of the Haro guest house...) and have never been disappointed.

Hope this is some help. I don't know what else you need to know.

I second the recommendations for Joe Fortes.

littlemountain Aug 28th, 2008 02:59 PM

OK, the thread which died on you contains my recent high-end recommendations for the Denman area of the West End.

You're going to be a bit higher up, though, one block South of Robson between Jervis and Broughton. That should put the Robson Street eateries in play.

A Taste of India at Robson and Jervis has rather uninspiring decor but, man, they can cook. Butter chicken, chicken korma, masala chicken. (Hope you like chicken.) Vegetarians will hardly suffer though.

Hon's Wun-Tun House, kitty corner on the same intersection, is good, inexpensive Chinese food. Even less decor than A Taste of India, though.

Joe Fortes, recommended by others, is another couple of blocks East along Robson at Thurlow. If you're going to spend that kind of money, though, I'd go to CinCin, one block closer, a blend of Northern Italian and West Coast attention to seafood and fresh ingredients.

I don't recommend any of the hotel restaurants along Robson Street, by the way. Not one of them. You can do better elsewhere at any price point.

weasel Aug 28th, 2008 09:48 PM

Hi I would 2nd Kerki's greek restaurant on 4th. Also just went to Fuel on 4th and cypress area and it was great. I love Sanifir on Granville and Rare was great in May.

Wallace_and_Gromit Aug 29th, 2008 05:06 PM

Now who is going to give me recs on the &quot;hole in the wall&quot; places?

For most of my meals, I want to spend $20-25 or less.

Thanks for the Greek and Indian recommendations ... might try them all!

How is Shima Sushi?

Carmanah Aug 31st, 2008 08:30 AM

Wallace_and_Gromit, a lot of your hole-in-the-wall places can be found in the West End, especially along Denman Street.

Wallace_and_Gromit Aug 31st, 2008 10:11 AM

Thanks, Carmanah. Which of these places do you like?

I am trying to find the &quot;hole in the wall&quot; with great food opposed to the &quot;hole in the wall&quot; dump.

I don't mind paying a bit more for quality.

I have been to Falafel King on Denman and took it to the beach last Summer. (Not sure if it will be too cold for that in Oct.) and I thought it was REALLY GOOD. I also had a Bahn Mi at the Vietnamese place near Falafel King and thought it was good. (It was cheap!) Go Fish is a favorite of mine ... and the Maple Delights Cafe (which I recently found out moved to Gastown - so I am not sure if the food is just as good as it was)

I'm just trying to find some new places (so I don't get into a rut)

elnap29 Sep 4th, 2008 04:58 PM

We loved Hon's on Robson. Authentic Chinese. Fresh fish. Friendly, fast. Consider it a hole-in-the-wall that opens up to a large dining room filled with happy diners. We spent $19 for 2 people with plenty left over.

dar Sep 5th, 2008 07:53 PM

Sophie's on 4th at ...Fir???

daun0 Sep 28th, 2008 09:44 PM

Try the Banana Leaf for Malaysian food, the one on BRoadway is the best location of the two, I understand. You won't know what to order, but they have a fixed price menu for two that covers all of the classic dishes, reasonably priced. The beans are amazing! And Hon's is very cheap, good, not great on decor, but apparently a very typical asian experience in the big cities of Taiwan &amp; China, I've been told. ALso had friends recommend the REEF for Caribbean food, on main street.

poolboy Oct 21st, 2008 11:08 PM

Vancouver is full of Restaurants
here is a page full

http://www.greatervancouverhotels.co...ants/index.htm

Cheers Rick

HKP Oct 31st, 2008 05:38 PM

That's a great list, Rick, but would you care to add a little info for my quick visit next week? Without a map and/or addresses for the whole list, have no idea what I'm looking at.

Will be staying at the Delta Suites downtown near Harbour Center -- am traveling solo and have one evening to myself. Suggestion re: good bet for solo dining (woman of certain age) midweek? Not too far and not too dicey (which, I assume, means not Gas Town) - any ethnic, any bistro, or any small &quot;gem&quot;?