Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver crossing (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-crossing-318848/)

jet29 May 20th, 2003 04:58 AM

Vancouver crossing

While vacationing on the West coast this summer we will be crossing from Vancouver to Victoria, on Sat. June 21st using the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay Ferry at 11:00 a.m. Is it normally busy on the weekend? How long before sailing should we be at the dock? Is it worthwhile to make reservations and pay the extra fee?

Three days later on Tuesday, June 24th, we will be crossing back to the mainland on our way to Whistler, leaving from Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay. Again, are reservations recommended and what is the traffic like at this time? We are planning to use the 10:30 a.m. ferry.

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

Meesthare May 20th, 2003 05:05 AM

My own experience is that there is a lot of traffic on the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay route, especially on Saturday mornings. If you're concerned about arriving in Victoria at a particular time, I would definitely either make a reservation or arrive well ahead of time. (Incidentally, I'm assuming you're travelling by car. Foot passengers don't need to worry about reservations.) The BC Ferries website will tell you how far in advance you need to arrive if you have a reservation.
Can't really tell you much about the Departure Bay route; I've taken it but I'm not as familiar with it as the other one.

jet29 May 20th, 2003 05:30 AM

Sorry

Yes, we are travelling by car.

jet29 May 20th, 2003 05:33 AM

BTW, if we need a reservation, how far ahead should we book?

Meesthare May 20th, 2003 09:41 AM

Since you know which ferry you want to take, why not book it right away? You can do it online via the BC Ferries website.

bccanuck May 20th, 2003 11:04 AM

You can book your reservation the same day as travel or as far in advance as you'd like. As far as I know there are only a certain amount of reserved spaces on each ferry. Even if you don't reserve the next ferry is at 12:00. But there are no refunds if you change your mind.

dar May 20th, 2003 11:20 AM

If my schedule was tight, I'd book the Saturday ferry ahead of time on the internet, and leave the Tuesday ferry to chance - you'll only wait an hour if you don't catch the 10:30. It is really hit and miss, on a week day I've arrived 15 mins before the sailing and could drive right on, other times I've arrived 50 mins early, missed the ferry by 2 cars and waited an hour for the next one. Sometimes it depends on the commerical truck traffic - if there is lots, things can get backed up. I think you have to reserve at least 90 mins ahead of the ferry (be careful, may already be sold out) and must arrive 30 mins before the sailing to hold your spot.

jet29 May 21st, 2003 04:44 AM

Thank you all for all the info. and we will definitely make reservations ahead of time.

BTW - what is the average driving time from Victoria to Departure Bay?

Thank you,

Meesthare May 21st, 2003 05:32 AM

I'd allow a little more than 2 hours, just to be on the safe side.