Search

New Brunswick Rest Area's

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Brunswick Rest Area's

Hello Everyone,

New traveler here. Soon to be empty nester's hitting the road for our first trip without the kids.

We're traveling from suburban Boston to Cape Breton at the end of June and want to know if there is a list of rest area's available. We're looking for facilities with bathrooms and / or picnic area's so we can stretch and eat. I've searched the internet and can't come up with anything.

We're crossing the border at McAdam and will be traveling on Routes 4, 3 and 2.

What kind of law enforcement presence can we expect along those route. Its going to be a long ride and I'd prefer to avoid getting a speeding ticket while making the best time possible.

Lastly, I read that radar detectors are illegal in New Brunswick. Is this true? Is it rigorously enforced?

Thank you in advance
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 12:52 AM

Radar detectors are illegal in Canada.

If you are travelling the #2, it is the main divided highway. Speed limit is 110km/hr. Law enforcement will be the RCMP. Not sure about in NB, but in NS they have certainly stepped up their enforcement of the main highway.

As for rest areas, not a lot of "specified" ones like in Ontario and Quebec, however, look for Irving Big Stops where yuo will find restrooms, restaurants, etc. These are typically used by the truckers.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Tanya,

In Massachusetts they generally don't ticket unless your more than 10-15 mph over the speed limit. Is that the case in NB and NS?

Thanks for your help!.

Dave
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Well, can't tell you that - as always obey the law and you won't get charged. Besides, you are on vacation - slow down and enjoy the scenary
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Hi - we've been ticketed in New Brunswick in past so be careful. I would keep it under 10 miles over the speed limit (which is posted in kilometres per hour here - e.g. 100 km = 62 miles).

Canada generally doesn't have as many of the same kind of highway rest stops that are common in parts of the U.S. - i.e. pull-overs with washrooms, vending machines and picnic tables. On some of the major highways in some provinces there are HIghway Service Centres - a Gas Station with attached Fast Food Restaurants, washrooms, etc. (a number of these along Highway 401 through southern Ontario for instance), but I don't specifically remember what New Brunswick offers. However on 4 driving trips through New Brunswick, I don't remember having difficulty finding places just off the highway to stop, stretch, eat, etc.

Hard to say how rigourously the Radar Detector law is enforced because they've been illegal in Eastern and Central Canada for a long long time so you just don't hear about them. But I just read that some of the western Canadian provinces still allow them. However I also read that where they are illegal, police can confiscate them and impose a fine whether they're actually in use or not, so you might want to keep it out of sight. Seems to me that there might be a sign about this posted right at some border crossings.

It sounds like you are trying to hurry through NB in order to get to Cape Breton, and if your time is limited, I can understand that - Cape Breton is spectacular. But if you can, it would certainly be nice to take the more scenic Bay of Fundy routes through NB as there are a number of sites of interest along this shore, some of which would be great for stretching and picnicking.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Matt,

Thanks for the info on the rest areas and RCMP activity. I already have a week plus trip through NB completely sketched out, St Andrews, Fundy, Moncton,the North Coast and back down route 8. But thats next years trip.

Tanya,

Yes Mom, I won't go over the speed limit and I'll be home by 9. Just teasing, thanks for your help!
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 05:37 AM

Radar Detector, do not use in eastern canada unless you want a ticket, i am from new brunswick! it says has soon you enter canada about Radar Detector! truck driver here. Watch the road signs for pit stops, camp grounds and so on. its old post just an update!