Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Airport Car rental facilities -- physical location assistance please. Thx.

Vancouver Airport Car rental facilities -- physical location assistance please. Thx.

Jun 2nd, 2019, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

I'm getting conflicting information regarding the physical location of the car rental agencies at the Vancouver airport. Normally, when taking a flight I would just follow the signs within the airport to find the car rentals. However, in this case, I will not be flying into the Vancouver airport, but rather being driven (likely via airport shuttle or perhaps a taxi)

Specifically, I am trying to determine where I ask to be dropped off by an airport shuttle bus driver in order to get as close as possible to the AVIS rental office (and car) location(s). Also, unclear is whether the cars are housed at the airport (and walk-able) or housed several miles away at an off-site location (i.e., unwalk-able, requiring me to take an AVIS shuttle to get to them). If cars are stored at an off-site facility, I'm thinking it may be more efficient to take a cab to that location (... and if so, what is that location's address)?

Unfortunately, a supposed "local" Avis number I tried was manned by a non-local and could not answer the questions. And an Avis online chat said to "... proceed to the Avis counter in the baggage claim area. Rental cars are parked outside the baggage claim area;;;", which if indeed accurate is helpful, but conflicts with what a tour operator told me (he said it wasn't walk-able) and also doesn't answer if there are multiple baggage claim locations (... and therefore multiple AVIS locations), and, if so, which one would be best to be dropped off at, etc. etc. to limit the amount of walking.

Any assistance to clarify this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Jun 2nd, 2019, 04:34 PM

The AVIS rental office is very walkable (just across the road) from the airport, though the signage is not too clear. You exit the front of the airport and you should see a parking garage. The car rental offices are on the ground floor of the parking garage structure. The rental cars are parked on that level.

Last edited by blakejared; Jun 2nd, 2019 at 04:51 PM.
Jun 3rd, 2019, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much!