Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Hotels - Down to Four, Which to Pick?

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have narrowed down my list of choices for a February long weekend stay in Vancouver - Westin Grand, Westin Bayshore, Sutton Place, & Hampton Inn. I'm in my late 20's from NYC and will be visiting friends out there. I'm seeking a hotel with a great, comfortable, cool room and decent location (although I believe that these four are all well located). Each of these has mixed reviews, so I thought I'd see what how those on the message boards would respond...

Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM

The Sutton Place is my favorite hotel in Vancouver, mostly for the excellent service and its great central location. However, I wouldn't characterize the rooms as "cool"--they're more traditional in decor.

Of the choices you list, the Westin Grand probably has the "coolest" rooms, and the location is good if you want to be closer to Yaletown.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

I suppose the "coolness" factor isn't my greatest concern. I really just want to ensure that the amenities, service levels, and cleanliness are excellent at whichever hotel I choose.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
BAK

Westin run a good hotel, but of the ones on your list,. the Bayshore is the one you won't find dupicated anywhere else in the world.

Seaplanes anding outside, boats getting fueled at floating gas stations... The Bayshore is Vancouver.

BAK
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM

I work right near the Westin Grand, and there is quite a bit of condo tower construction going on there right now. However, it is close to Yaletown and right on Robson street, so it's a great location.

The Westin Bayshore is awesome, but it's on the other end of downtown, and a bit far from Robson (though certainly still walkable).

I guess it depends on where your friends live, and where you are likely to hang out most evenings. Chances are if your from NY you will want to be hitting the bars and clubs in Yaletown.

A good compromise? Sutton Place. Right off of Robson, so all the shopping, restaurants, vibe and walkable to both Stanley Park and Yaletown.