Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   VANCOUVER!!!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-519416/)

AzHeat Apr 7th, 2005 01:38 PM

VANCOUVER!!!!!

My wife and I are planing a trip to Vancouver in August and need to know where is the best place to stay.We have heard so many great things about Vancouver and have been looking forward to going for quite some time.With that being said the hotel you stay at is of course a significant part of your trip so I turn to some of you to help guide us in the right direction.Anything you can share would be great!! THANKS

Carmanah Apr 7th, 2005 02:11 PM

I guess my question to you would be, what kind of hotel would you be looking for? Obviously you'd like the hotel to be a memorable experience, but is there something you're looking for in particular?

Downtown Vancouver is quite walkable and compact, so staying in the downtown peninsula would make the most sense.

Some hotels are located in the heart of busy Robson Street, where there's a lot of popular (though generic) brand-name clothing shops and many different types of restaurants.

Some hotels are closer to Yaletown, which is a bit more posh/upscale with brick warehouse lofts and loungey restaurants.

Some hotels are more like resorts on the waterfront, offering you views of seaplanes landing in the water, cruiseships debarking, and mountains across the way.

Some hotels are known for their interiors, but don't have exciting views. Others offer nothing but location and stunning views, but the hotels themselves might not be 4 stars and movie star luxurious.

Others are located in quieter areas which are more local in flavour, a quick stroll to the local beach and Stanley Park, surrounding by little grocery shops, cafes, and, yes, restaurants... and avoid the touristy nature that other parts of the city have.

Some hotels are pocketed away in historic buildings, and offer funkier/artsy suites, but are located in grittier neighbourhoods.

What's your budget, and what kind of experience do you hope to get? Are you looking for hotels, or do bed & breakfasts also come into play?

AzHeat Apr 7th, 2005 02:40 PM

budget is 275-300 US$ a night.It would be nice to have great views and at the same time be in a good location, where we can walk to restauraunts, bars, shops etc.Downtown seems like a good idea but Yaletown seems interesting as well.We really dont need to see generic brand stores.Looking for relaxtion and at the same time to be able to experience all that we have heard about Vancouver with regards to the views, landscapes, activities, etc. Where have you stayed and what is your ideal spot?.

AzHeat Apr 7th, 2005 02:55 PM

was reading in another post that Wedgeworth hotel is a good place to stay, although they dont have a pool.Thoughts on Wedgeworth hotel??.I dont think I would be at the pool all day but it is a nice option to have.

NorthwestMale Apr 7th, 2005 03:40 PM

Geez, you're well budgeted for hotels, but if it were me I would use Priceline.com to get a room and spend the savings on yourself during your vacation.

And I am still suggesting a top-of-the-line class hotel, through Priceline, and smack dab in the middle of downtown Vancouver.

I go to Vancouver all of the time and because the downtown area is so fairly compact for an urban area of its size, you would have a tough time going wrong if you first studied www.biddingfortravel.com to get a sense for what "4-star" hotels are possible Priceline finds in downtown Vancouver, and then began the bidding process when you were comfortable with those options.

With your savings from $275 U.S. per night you could probably pay for your entire car rental needs for the trip, etc.

Vancouver IS as great as you've heard, and the water and mountain backdrop (and hopefully sunny August weather) will prove a truly enjoyable combo.

CaptCanuck Apr 8th, 2005 08:04 AM

If you are thinking of Yaletown, try the Opus Hotel. Good restaurants, and a short walk to the beginning of the seawall which will eventually lead you to Stanley Park. No views though. The Westin Bayshore right by Stanley Park would be nice for that. The Wedgewood is nice..right by Robson St. and in the middle of the all the high end shopping...but the accessibility to the Seawall or aquabus to Granville Island isn't as good...you could also stay right in Granville Island and enjoy the Granville Island Hotel.
cheers,
CC

GaryA Apr 8th, 2005 08:53 AM

AzHeat you said in one of your comments that you really wanted to 'experiance' Vancouver and given your budget, (even with the dropping US$), you can choose from the best.

While the Wedgewood, Sutton Place, Opus and Four Seasons are all great hotels that are very centrally located but for the most part most of the rooms don't have great views and in Vancouver looking at the view is part of the 'experiance'.

The Westin Bayshore is located next to Stanley Park and on the edge of Vancouver Harbour as well as the vibrant West End residential area which is a densely populated area with great shops and restaurants. A free shuttle bus will take you the 2 K's to the heart of downtown. For experiencing the real Vancouver in style there is probably no better choice.

The next choice would be the Pan Pacific which is located atop the Cruise Ship terminal and Trade and Convention Centre. The views from almost all rooms are magnificent and it's just a block or two from Gastown. The Fairmont Waterfront accross the street from the Pan Pacific is almost as good.

The Granville Island Hotel is also very 'Vancouver' but not that convenient. The Lonsdale Quay hotel accross the Harbour from downtown Vancouver is about the same quality and has much easier access to the main tourist areas.

AzHeat Apr 8th, 2005 02:17 PM

I will take a look at the Westin and some of the reviews from others that have stayed their.Had not heard much about it.

MightyMissy Apr 9th, 2005 08:04 AM

Hi AzHeat-
I recently took a group of coworkers to a conference in Vancouver and we stayed at a lovely boutique hotel in the downtown area call Le Soleil. The rooms were all suites and nicely furnished. The employees went out of their way to help us. I had read excellent reviews about the hotel from other travelers and the hotel lived up to its reputation. All 10 of us really enjoyed the hotel. Although it may not have the views some other hotels have, it is near many restaurants and shops. Obviously summer rates will be different than the winter rates we enjoyed, but you might want to add it to the list of hotels to investigate.

April Apr 9th, 2005 04:27 PM

I agree with GaryA. Le Soleil was ok, the Wedgewood was nice, but in a way they could be in any city (le Soleil moreso). Personally, I like to have a view that says 'Vancouver.'

AzHeat Apr 10th, 2005 08:41 AM

so what view does say Vancouver??. I am leaning towards Yaletown right now as it does seem like an areas we would enjoy.Still unsure.

April Apr 10th, 2005 10:42 AM

Magnificent mountain & water views. That wouldn't be Yaletown for me, although it is nice in its way. Check out the steam locomotive there, if interested.

tedgale Apr 10th, 2005 02:51 PM

You ask: What does say Vancouver?

Pan Pacific or The Pinnacle or the Waterfront Centre hotel, for the view.

Sheraton Wall Centre -- don't be put off because it is a chain. It is a glamourous 41 storey building and quite nice.

Hotel Vancouver, if you want traditional luxe (though some rooms are not large).

GaryA Apr 10th, 2005 04:04 PM

I'm sorry but the only hotels that really highlight Vancouver are on or very close to the harbour with clear views of the North Shore mountains plus are near places where Vancouverites love to go. That puts the Bayshore on the top of the list. closely followed by the PanPacific and Fairmount Waterfront and then the Coast Plaza Hotel on Denman as a budget alternative.

blugo Apr 10th, 2005 11:46 PM

I wouldn't worry about the view from the hotel - I expect all you'll do there is sleep. Why not something close to Denman so you can do Stanley Park, take the ferry over to Granville Island, and be on the beach or go to the aquarium? Try Sands Best Western at the corner of Denman & Davie. Davie & Denman are 'open' almost all night...so there's always a place to stop for coffee, desserts to die for, and if you really want to go 'downtown' you can catch a bus.

cd Apr 11th, 2005 05:27 AM

We want to walk Stanley Park, take the ferry to Granville Island for a day and stay in a waterfront hotel where we can watch seaplanes, etc Would the Coast fill this bill? Bayshore?
Thanks

GaryA Apr 11th, 2005 08:43 AM

The Coast Plaza is actually a 30+ story hotel about a block and a half from English Bay which is the most popular downtown Beach. The views from about the 10th floor up are terrific whether you're looking North or South but for being close to the Harbour this is not the best locale.

None of the Harbourside hotels are within easy walking distance of the Granville Island ferries but you should decide which is most important to you - being by the harbour or near Granville Island. Personally I would choose being on the Harbour but there is a whole slew of mid to upper mid quality hotels within a few blocks of Granville Island ferries.

cd Apr 11th, 2005 01:07 PM

Which harborside hotel would you choose Gary? We can take a taxi to the ferries right?

GaryA Apr 12th, 2005 09:52 AM

The Westin Bayshore is almost like a resort hotel in the heart of a busy city. From your harbour view balcony you can watch one of the busiest ports in North America and see planes, yachts, cruise ships and freighters p[ass by. It's a short walk from there to Stanley Park one of the largest downtown forests in the world. Only a few more blocks and you're in the heart of the West End the most densely populated area in N.A. after Manhatten with it's terrific restaurants and shops. The only real disadvantage is that it's about two clicks from the Downtown core but they do provide a free shuttle bus service. Frankly it's on the top of my list for a true 'Vancouver' hotel experiance.

The Pan Pacific right on top of the Cruise Ship Terminal and the Canada Place Trade and Convention Centre is very pricey but definately has the best harbour views in the city plus it's only a block from Gastown and about 6 blocks from the heart of Downtown. It would be my second choice for harbour side hotels and then there's a whole slew of them from the Pinnacle to the Fairmont Waterfront and the Renaisance but the Bayshore and the Pan Pacific are the best.

I'm having some problem with the server so I hope I don't lose this when I press 'Post my Reply'.

cd Apr 13th, 2005 04:54 AM

Thanks Gary. To visit Seattle for two days, Victoria for a day and night and then Vancouver, could we do this with ferries and public transport or is it best to rent a car?