Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > Vanc Island in May or early Sept/late Aug...too much fog??

Vanc Island in May or early Sept/late Aug...too much fog??

Mar 31st, 2006, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Vanc Island in May or early Sept/late Aug...too much fog??

Our final choices for when to see Tofino
& whole island...are below.

Also considering including Telegraph Cove area, but from what I gather, that would be best in either July or Sept.
(more whale activity than in May & bears more likely to be seen in Knight Inlet (day trip from TC)

Okay so are choices are below. Trying to hurry & decide to can book some nice rooms.
Someone I called said late Aug/early Sept can be all foggy in Tofino. Anyone else agree?

Thanks so much!
1) mid to late May - our Anniversary time
Not sure if too early to do things like the Lady Rose boat out of Port Alberni.

But we would save money at lodging in Tofino prior to mid-June.

2)3rd week in July -

3) or late Aug/or early Sept
Help?
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:07 AM

We've been to Pacific Rim in late August early September and the weather was great. Fog is possible but I would not stress over it.

Killer Whales [as noted earlier]near Port McNeill from mid -July onward through late Sept.

And the glendale grizzlies from about Sept 1st onward [or a few days earlier depending on the lunar cycle]. Check out Tide Rip's website for more detail on this. I suggest you speak to Howard at Tide Rip directly for the best information.

May would be my least preferable choice among those above.
cheers

Jerry
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:58 PM

August can be "Faugust" on the west coast of Vancouver Island (we certainly had some) as well in the Telegraph Cove area (ditto).
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:45 PM

On various August visits to both locations, fog [other than a bit of early morning mist] has never been a problem for us except one day at Port McNeill..........
Apr 1st, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing. Hmmm...
conflicting reports. :-\

Uh oh...
I was thinkin' it might make sense if the interior is heating up
at least here in Calif that often sucks in fog along the coastal communities in summer.

But seems it may be hit or miss?
BowenLinda how do you like May early June? Rain likely? More so than in late Aug?? Thanks again!
Apr 1st, 2006, 07:29 AM

Definitely rainier in May than August.
Apr 1st, 2006, 10:12 AM

I agree with Jerry - don't stress over the potential of fog. Or rain, for that matter.

I take it animal viewing is your first priority for this trip. Now set your priority re which animal (whales? grizzlies? other? ) and select the best viewing month based on that.

The month of May would also be my least favourite of the three months to visit. If you do get some fog in either spot, enjoy it, for it's pretty spectacular (eerie, romantic even) as it burns off.
Apr 1st, 2006, 10:39 AM

Daydreamer,

I can't recall if you said where you are from,or if coastal climate is familiar to you- but as Bowenlinda said so well above -don't stress over this !

Pacific Rim is beautiful , and even if you do get fog, mist or a bit of rain [ it IS a temperate rainforest after all...] that is just part of the experience.

The Johnstone Straits and Broughton Archipeligo near Telegraph Cove are equally as beautiful in fog, mist or sunshine. One of our great Canadian songwriters, Ian Tyson, has a wonderful line in one of his songs about "Those great fog-bound straits where the cedars stand watching" that I think of every time I travel those waters in any weather.....he captures the feeling of the place.

Go for it -pick a time and place -make your reservations and enjoy your trip! You can't go far wrong at any of the locations you have mentioned.

cheers

Jerry
Apr 1st, 2006, 11:22 AM

I spent a week on the west coast of Vancouver Island in August and I never experienced fog. But that area is a temperate rainforest, and the whole misty/foggy atmosphere is part of the experience. I would never stress about it nor choose for another month. August is probably the best time to visit in my opinion.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys! Truly appreciate your thoughts. And LOVED that line from that song...so full of imagery!
Hubby would love it too.

We also enjoy Gordon Lightfoot's imagery in some of his songs re: your fair country.

You're right...fog does make things more magical at times. It's just,
I'd also love to get to see the higher mtns in the area, & was just concerned that it might be the kind of fog that won't burn off...presenting that opportunity.

Anyway, I agree often & usually the wildlife viewing is primary. However, this year we have some conflicts in our schedule so am still exploring times that might not be as perfect for the wildlife, but would still be nice.

Jerry, have you ever done Rip Tide in a season other than when they're on the river. The Spring? The owner there says it's his favorite time, in many ways. And, so...that's why we're still pondering a late Spring visit only 'cos we originally thought we'd be seeing Colorado w/fall colors in late Sept (to visit my brother)

And, if we'd do Vanc Island in early Sept...it would throw those plans off.
(hence the dilemma) Have to decide if Colorado w/out any colors appeals as strongly or not. (and he runs a rental place in Breckenridge, so almost doesn't WANT us to visit in high summer as it's just wayyyy too busy)

Well, sorry for the babbling!
Just wanted to explain my quandary.
Thanks again.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:12 AM

What about visiting Vancouver Island one year and Colorado the next?

Glad you enjoyed the song lyric -you might guess from my screen name that I have more than a bit of interest in music. Lightfoot is a favourite of ours as well.

Jerry
Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:25 AM

One of my favourite photos is one I took of the whales breaching in the fog off Long Beach. Totally magical. Vancouver Island is amazing fog or not. And August means longer days to enjoy the sights.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM

The fog, in my experience is mainly coastal - it stays on the beach and near the shore just like it does along the Oregon coast. It will probably not obscure the views from the mountains. The kind of fog that sits heavy in the air (the kind that occurs inland) tends to occur in the fall... in October predominantly, but it's not a frequent phenomenon. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the feedback.

Length of day wise, I think late May might actually be a bit better than if we don't go 'til end of Aug/early Sept.

But it's probably splitting hairs.

Yes, I wish I could do one trip one year & the other the next...but,
we haven't seen my brother's place yet in Colorado (and he's been there a bit)
and at the same time, year after year we have to keep cancelling our hopes for a trip to Vanc Island.

So, we're hoping to somehow fit in both this year. (plus we could really use some vacations!)
Thanks again.

Search this Thread