Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   vacation in September, questions about hiking trails (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vacation-in-september-questions-about-hiking-trails-140255/)

Jannie Sue Jan 10th, 2002 09:18 AM

vacation in September, questions about hiking trails

We are planning a trip to Waterton,Banff,and Jasper in early September (trying to avoid the summer crowds). Any suggestions on hiking trails that aren't too difficult? We will be at each place for about 3 days and love to hike, but not strenuous hikes. Thanks for your help. Also will that time of year be good?

xxx Jan 10th, 2002 12:53 PM

go to the national park's website and ask them to send you information on the trails. don't forget to travel smart regarding bears. <BR>september will be a great time to be there - after labor day long weekend.

ja Jan 10th, 2002 04:27 PM

Hi, Jannie Sue-<BR><BR> Great choice for a vacation destination. Some of our favorites are: <BR>Jasper=Valley of the 5 lakes, Patricia Lake loop, anything along the Icefields Parkway; Banff=Johnson Canyon!!!;Waterton=Bertha bay all the way to the dock<BR> Hope this helps<BR>ja

Bob Brown Jan 10th, 2002 07:06 PM

I strongly suggest that you acquire a copy of the Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson.<BR>Simply put, it is the best hiking book in the English language. It has been revised numerous times and the lastest edition is the best one yet.<BR>I have used it for many years to select hikes in the whole Rocky Mountain area.<BR>There are so many that most of us have barely scratched the surface.<BR><BR>In the Lake Louise area, there is one classic: the Plain of Six Glaciers trail that leads from Chateau Lake Louise along the north side of the lake all the way to the mountain wall that forms the backdrop of the lake.<BR>I think it is lovely.<BR>Other than that, Johnson Canyon is a great one. <BR>In Waterton, I suggest taking the boat to the end of the lake and walking a flat 3 miles to a view of the ridges right by the river. Lovely place for lunch. We ate there once with 3 moosetresses. They ate moss from the stream bottom and we ate our sandwiches. They were delightful luncheon companions. Then we walked back to the boat dock for the ride back. <BR>In Jasper, visit Angel Glacier and take in the views.

ja Jan 10th, 2002 07:33 PM

Thanks, Bob B. I was going to suggest the guide, as my bf owns the latest edition, but I couldn't remember the names of the authors. An excellent suggestion.<BR>ja

Jannie Sue Jan 10th, 2002 09:17 PM

Thank you for your replies. I will certainly try to find that book at our local bookstore.

Bob Brown Jan 12th, 2002 07:32 AM

The Adventurous Traveler on the web will have it. It is a business that specializes in that kind of book.<BR>That is where got mine. <BR>But I don't think I am exaggerating about the care with which the authors have prepared their work.<BR>The Swiss mountain hikes are well described by Kev Reynolds, but Patton and Robinson have measured distances with a wheel, and they describe the terrain so well that you can select before you go.<BR>The authors have lived in that area for a long time and revising the book to keep up with route changes has been a labor of love. Sure, they have made money on it, but revising it with the care they have shown over the years involves something other than just bringing in a few bucks. <BR>I think any of us would like to author a book that goes througn 7 editions. It proves you have done something right!! <BR>

alice Jan 12th, 2002 01:07 PM

lake o'hara area was neat.it is near lake louise.