tent camping in Southern Ontario

Old Apr 20th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tent camping in Southern Ontario

My husband and I will be driving from Chicago to Ontario for our anniversary and were thinking about spending two nights at a campground between Chicago and Barrie, Ontario, our ultimate destination.

Because it's Memorial Day weekend in the U.S. (5/27 & 28), I'm guessing that at this late date most U.S. sites will be booked, so I thought somewhere in Canada would be ideal.

I've done some poking around and found some good websites that show nice details of the parks, and even some site pictures, but I wondered if anyone has any great or not-so-great experiences to share. I've mostly been looking at the provincial parks, but am open minded.

We love being near water, especially if we can see it from the campsite, and prefer privacy and quiet as much as possible. (It is camping, so ...)

Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help!
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM

The best spot with great beaches is Pinery Provincial Park. If you look at the map some sites are just over the dunes from the beach. It is a beautiful, popular park. Im not guaranteeing it to be private.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!

Do you know anything about Wheatley?
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM

I agree that Pinery is a nice park, lots of nature, extensive stretch of beach (too cold to swim in May though), protected dunes, mixed woodlands and rare Oak savanna. A number of nice nature trails. Lots of interesting butterflies and bird species.

I don't hear much about Wheatley although I visit various points along the Lake Erie shore several times a year for bird-watching (for which the area is famous - especially during spring migration which peaks in May). Wheatley might be more off-the-beaten track than Pinery, but is also smaller.

Long Point Provincial Park is also on the Lake Erie shore and although I have not camped there, I have noted that a few of the sites at the far end are practically right on the beach (which runs for miles, though beyond the park access is restricted as it is a Wildlife Refuge). Also known for the May bird migration. Fewer formal nature trails here.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, mat54!

Sounds like any of those would probably be nice, if there are spaces available!

Looking forward to visiting Canada!