Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Two "free" days near Vancouver in summer-what to do?

Jan 22nd, 2002, 11:59 AM
karen

I'm flying into Vancouver in June and am spending 3 days for a business conference. After that, I have two days open to do what I choose. I love all outdoorsy things-hiking, beautiful scenery, rafting...Where should I spend my two "free" days? Would it be a pain to drive from Whistler to Vancouver Island, then have enough time there? Is there another place (aka, lake, mountain nature preserve) that is closer to Whistler/Vancouver that I should choose instead? Sorry, I'm VERY unfamiliar with the area (I'm coming from England). Thanks!

Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:35 PM
klam

Having lived there recently, I find it hard to shortlist what to do in two days, especially if you like the outdoors. Here's my best shot...First, Whistler is about a 2.5 hour scenic drive north of Vancouver. It's a hot spot with lots to do hike, bike, blade, canoe, etc. You can even heli-ski there in June if you want! Good restaurants, and a well developed "village". It's a year-round destination now so there might be a festival happening at that time that might interest you. People day-trip it all the time, and with a June visit, you'll get lots of daylight hours. Check out their website. Next, Vancouver Island is a 2plus hour ferry ride to the west of Vancouver. On the island, Victoria tends to be the destination for most tourists...it's like a quaint English town...a good museum there, but save your precious time since you're a Brit! (maybe do it on another visit when you have more time). Lotsa of urban outdoorsy things to do in the city...blade the Stanley Park seawall, kayaking even on local urban waters, like at Granville Island. For outdoorsy things, you almost can't beat The North Shore. A range of mountains one bridge north of Vancouver (yes, I miss my home!). Great for hikes (as long as you like...you can even hike to Whistler from there if you're so inclined!). Also destination mountain bike trails at the top of Mtn Hwy., if that's your thing. You can take the gondola up Grouse Mountain for fabulous views and some activities...or better yet, hike the Grouse Grind and take the gondala back down...a Vancouver tradition! There's a suspension bridge with trails around it in Lynn Valley (free) or a commercial one (Capilano). Again check out Vancouver's tourism website...I'm sure there are links to the local mountains. Too much to list without knowing your preferences...do some research and come back with some choices, and then we can comment on them.

Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:36 PM
klam

Having lived there recently, I find it hard to shortlist what to do in two days, especially if you like the outdoors. Here's my best shot...First, Whistler is about a 2.5 hour scenic drive north of Vancouver. It's a hot spot with lots to do hike, bike, blade, canoe, etc. You can even heli-ski there in June if you want! Good restaurants, and a well developed "village". It's a year-round destination now so there might be a festival happening at that time that might interest you. People day-trip it all the time, and with a June visit, you'll get lots of daylight hours. Check out their website. Next, Vancouver Island is a 2plus hour ferry ride to the west of Vancouver. On the island, Victoria tends to be the destination for most tourists...it's like a quaint English town...a good museum there, but save your precious time since you're a Brit! (maybe do it on another visit when you have more time). Lotsa of urban outdoorsy things to do in the city...blade the Stanley Park seawall, kayaking even on local urban waters, like at Granville Island. For outdoorsy things, you almost can't beat The North Shore. A range of mountains one bridge north of Vancouver (yes, I miss my home!). Great for hikes (as long as you like...you can even hike to Whistler from there if you're so inclined!). Also destination mountain bike trails at the top of Mtn Hwy., if that's your thing. You can take the gondola up Grouse Mountain for fabulous views and some activities...or better yet, hike the Grouse Grind and take the gondala back down...a Vancouver tradition! There's a suspension bridge with trails around it in Lynn Valley (free) or a commercial one (Capilano). Again check out Vancouver's tourism website...I'm sure there are links to the local mountains. Too much to list without knowing your preferences...do some research (the internet's great for that!) and come back with some choices, and then we can comment on them.

Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:19 PM
John

Karen, is your conference at Whistler? If so, then your 2 days can easily be consumed in Vancouver, outdoors or in.

If your conference is in Vancouver, then the opposite applies - legions of outdoors possibilities between the city and Whistler.

If you want to explore the area a little, rent a car and poke around north of Vancouver on the Sunshine Coast, or head east to the Okanagan country, cross the US border for a visit to Grand Coulee Dam and the red rock country thereabouts, Indian reservations, etc. Nothing like it in Britain.

Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:48 PM
gary

Klam's post was excellant and worth being repeated. Vancouver has probably the best variety of outdoor recreation of any city in the world and it's all within 20 ks of downtown. Unless your conference is in Vancouver, (and maybe even then), you couldn't find a better place to spend your two free days.

Hopefully you will return and then you can do the rest of the province but for two days - stick to Vancouver.

Jan 25th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Karen

I guess I wasn't totally clear--I'll be in Whistler for 2 or 3 days, where I do plan to hike and explore. However, for my two days after that I was wondering where to go/what to do, that is close to Whistler/Vancouver so that I don't have to waste time driving. I think the drive from Whistler to the ferry to Vancouver Island, plus the ferry ride, would waste too much time, so some other place to stay for two days that has good hikes with great views nearby. Or, is there a good river rafting spot nearby? I did check the BC and Vancouver web sites, but since I'm really unfamiliar with the distance between places, I'm having trouble picking a spot.

Jan 25th, 2002, 03:54 PM
gary

So maybe I still don't understand. Is it that you want to go from Whistler to someplace even more rustic that has white water rafting, (Whistler has rafting but the water is pretty calm), or Vancouver isn't an option you want. Because I sdtill feel that after Whistler, Vancouver provides a totally different typw of environment yet still has the recreational options.

If you want to go White Water rafting then the closest place would be a day trip from Vancouver on the Fraser River, (Highway #1), between Lytton and Boston Bar. You could get there in about two to three hours from Vancuver - have a 4-6 hour raft ride and return the same day. There's a few companies that do this and you could probably locate them on a www.supernaturalbc.com website or the like.