Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   TROUT POINT LODGE (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/trout-point-lodge-308614/)

sabie1 Apr 19th, 2003 01:59 PM

TROUT POINT LODGE

Has anyone stayed at trout point lodge in Kemptville NS, and used the Romance in the Wilderness package?<BR><BR>Also is there any recommendations in Yarmouth for a one night stay to wait for the Cat ferry?

alfy Feb 19th, 2004 06:22 PM

I've stayed there and it is a wonderful place. We did not try the romance package, but the wilderness setting, the food, and the staff were all excellent. It's perfect on you way in or out by ferry--only 30 minutes to Yarmouth, which is not very interesting in and of itself.

Richelle Feb 26th, 2004 09:01 AM

Hi,
We stayed there in late September 2003. The grounds and lodge are beautiful.

Some words of warning: Do not try to go into the outdoor hot tub unless the lid has been off of it for a very long time or you will be like a boiled lobster.

Secondly, if the Lodge isn't very full, you might not get all the courses of the meal that you are expecting. We had a small souffle, a salad, soup was the entree and then dessert. That isn't bad, but if you're expecting a more substantial entree, you might be disappointed. Also, the waitstaff was not very helpful with wine selection or even letting you know what kind of wine they offered.

Another downside: We were in the Granite Suite, the most expensive of the lodge, and I spent most of the night awake because the people in the room above us had their Bose radio on all night. I mentioned it when we checked out the next day and no apology or anything was made.

For spending over $500 there for one night, I expected more.

Again, it's secluded and the grounds are lovely, but as with any place you stay, it can be hit or miss depending on the people that are staying there also.

It was our last night in Nova Scotia and was not a good way to end our glorious trip. We loved everything else about our trip, so it certainly didn't ruin the trip, but the experience didn't live up to our expectatations at all.

In closing, beautiful surroundings but the food package left a lot to be desired.

If you want any further info, feel free to contact me at [email protected]. I don't mean to sound all negative about the Lodge, but from their website, you expect a certain level of service and it was not there.

Richelle Feb 26th, 2004 09:03 AM

We also used the Cat and as far as staying in Yarmouth for the Cat, you could stay the night at Trout Point because it was less than 45 minutes to get there the next morning, but if you're set on Yarmouth, I didn't see many places to stay. I think there were one or two chain type places.

alfy Mar 15th, 2004 10:26 AM

I'm not sure how Richelle's experience could have been so negative, especially with regards to food. May the owners were away for a day or something, but when we were there, the food was nothing but excellent. We had all three meals, and all were more than sufficient in terms of quantity and quality. The wine list, while not big, was well chosen, especially for the seafood dishes they serve. As for the location, it is breathakintg, beautiful, and relaxing.

Molly2 Mar 16th, 2004 06:57 AM

If you're looking for something right in Yarmouth, you couldn't be much better located than at Murray Manor.

This attractive inn is on a hill right above the ferry landing. My husband and I walked over to catch the a.m. ferry. It is under new management since we stayed there, but it used to be very comfortable with excellent breakfasts and congenial hosts.