Search

going to quebec city and/or montreal last minute

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
WG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to quebec city and/or montreal last minute

Please advise - planning to take 20 something daughter on French speaking vacation so she can practice her French for upcoming job and due to difficulties in Paris decided to go to Quebec and or Montreal for 4-5 days beginning this weekend! Need to plan quickly, alas! Should we stick to one city or is 4-5 days enough time to do both? We will not have car -but would take train. We would appreciate museum rec, restaurants and where to stay, tho think we will stay at Frontenac, but unsure about Montreal, if the consensus is that we can do both cities..This is very last minute, as we did have reservations in Paris, but even the hotelier in Paris suggested we rethink Paris right now and reschedule for another time, which we will do!. Merci beaucoups.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 10:53 AM

I think in 5 days you could do both. I'd suggest 2 nights in Quebec City and 3 nights in Montreal.

Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City has a great location for walking and you can see it from just about everywhere in Vieux Quebec so you won't get lost. Wandering the cobblestone streets of Vieux Quebec, the historic walled city section, is the main activity here - historic buildings converted into shops and restaurants, street artists, horse-drawn buggies. Many dining options (a lot of which I think are overpriced for the quality), and I tend to prefer the bistros and cafes in the Lower City section. The nearby Citadel and Plains of Abraham offer a Historic Site to explore.

In Montreal, I like staying in Old Montreal which is essentially on the edge of the Downtown so you can walk both districts. There are a number of very nice Boutique Hotels (google 'Old Montreal boutique hotels' for options). I've also stayed at the Embassy Suites which is right on the border of downtown and the Old city. The Queen Elizabeth downtown is owned by Fairmont same as the Chateau Frontenac, and is popular.

Hundreds of restaurants. The Fodors website and other similar ones offer some good suggestions for restaurants and I always use these as a resource. We enjoyed the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts on our last visit, and were able to walk there from our Old Montreal hotel. Biodome was fun when we visited with Grandkids a few years ago and I think all ages could appreciate it (although not walking distance from downtown).
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM

I do not believe either city accomplishes your objective with the French language unless the French your daughter is interested is the French as spoken in Quebec. When I travel in France or in the French speaking region of Switzerland, I only speak French. But when I visited Quebec city this summer, I could hardly understand what they were saying. The pronunciation was drastically different. The odd thing was that they could understand what I was saying.

Of the two cities, "French" is spoken more in Quebec city, that is, the natives don't quickly try to change conversations to English.

If your objective is to practice French as spoken in France, I think the French speaking part of Belgium or Switzerland gives better options if any part of France, not just Paris, is out of question.

Between Quebec City and Montreal, the bus is more frequent although little more expensive. www.orleansexpress.com . The bus ticket is open seating, meaning you are not buying tickets for a particular bus or a seat. You just hop on any
Orleans Express bus during the ticket validity - I think good for more than a month.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM

Lodgings: montreal; great hotel le dauphin in the rue Bleury/
For Quebec;Manoir de l'esplanade in the old city.Paul
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 05:50 AM

WG, if you search back on this thread, you will get a ton of information and recommendations. With 5 days you can do both cities - realize Quebec City is much smaller than Montreal and therefore needs less time. Yes, you will get a good dose of French in both cities, particularly Quebec City, even more if you visit the outskirts. With 4 days I would stick to one or the other - they are both wonderful in their own way.
Montreal 101: There are 3 primary 'neighborhoods' of interest to visitors - 1.Old Montreal, which is very picturesque and old. However if you are also doing Quebec City you will get a lot more 'old city feel' there. 2. The downtown, typical big city, tall buildings, lots of stores and restaurants. 3. The Plateau, just a few blocks north and east of the downtown. The most French area, lots of small shops, byob restaurants, interesting b&b's and small hotels.
I would recommend staying in a b&b in the Plateau area as a way to get more immersed in the language, and also to meet interesting world travelers. Go to bbcanada.com for lots of options.
I wouldn't consider either city to be a great 'museum' city, although Montreal's Fine Arts Museum is world class. Lots of interesting small historic type museums in both cities.
Do your homework on this site as well as bonjourquebec.com.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 06:20 AM
WG
Original Poster

thanks - looking into all options listed above merci!!
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 06:25 AM
WG
Original Poster

zootsie how do i get to the thread for the info you mention? thanks
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM

'zootsie how do i get to the thread for the info you mention? thanks'

Is this what you mean?
http://www.fodors.com/community/canada/quebec/
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM

I agree with the recommendation to stay in the Plateau area of Montreal instead of downtown or Old Montreal. We enjoyed a stay at Auberge de la Fontaine last year. Outremont is another neighborhood with good restaurants where you should be able to speak French easily. I think if your daughter said she wanted to practice French people would be happly to oblige.
You should also be able to find French theater and films and of course TV stations.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM

"I do not believe either city accomplishes your objective with the French language unless the French your daughter is interested is the French as spoken in Quebec."

nickn has a point here, but I think that a quick visit of 4-5 days could be quite helpful.

First of all, the French generally spoken in Québec has quite different accent those of France and there are also some differences in vocabulary. Certainly for someone from outside French Canada, if can be difficult to understand when two Québecois are speaking to one another.

However, if your daughter's aim is to practice her French, she will certainly be understood and those she is speaking with will usually speak in a way that is much more understandable than if they were speaking to a native francophone. She will certainly have no difficulty, for example, understanding the French spoken on Radio Canada--although a call-in show on a local radio station could likely be virtually incomprehensible.

As this is only a short visit, just being in a francophone environment, no matter what accent, will be helpful. If, however, she were staying for three months then she would certainly end up with a Québecois accent which might not be what she wants.

For 4 to 5 days I would suggest one location, and that would be Québec rather than Montréal. Québec has a much more pervasive francophone environment than Montréal, and as nickn points out, in Montréal one is much more likely to get a reply in English than would be the case in Québec.

The Chateau Frontenac is a lovely old hotel, but the clientèle is largely English speaking and if one is looking for more immersion in the French language, I think that a smaller hotel would be more appropriate. The Auberge Saint-Antoine is one that comes to mind.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM

In Montreal, I always stay in the downtown area (Omni Hotel...I had a problem last time but they eventually resolved it to my satisfaction). I like Omni b/c you can get a great room on a high floor with a spectacular north view, it is w/in easy walking distance of the Museum on Sherbrooke, easy walking distance to one of my favorite Montreal restaurants (Il Cortile)where mainly French is spoken, easy walking distance to great shopping where you can practise your French, only a 20 minute cab ride from the airport. Omni is across the street from renowned McGill University on Sherbrooke.

I like Plateau too for dinner & strolling but prefer to stay @ Omni & take a cab to Plateau.

Have fun! When do you arrive? Tomorrow?
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
WG
Original Poster

Thank you all. Will arrive in few days and have decided to stay in Quebec at the Frontenac. We may take a bus tour of Montmorency Falls and St Anne de Beaupre, and then rest of time just stroll the city, visit the historic sites, and the few museums that I have discovered. Appreciate all you thoughts and any other ideas you have for Quebec City.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:29 AM

OG..You will love the chateau.. You might like to enroll in the Presidents Club with the Fairmont Hotels. Just go to web site You may be able to upgrade as we were at Lake Louise to a suite for no additional cost . Also right now Fairmont has some special offers. The enrollment costs nothing and has been a very favorable experience each time we have used it..A great special restauramt near the Chateau is Aciens (sp) A very old quaint historical place. the concierge will konw. Have a wonderful time in La Belle Provence!!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM

OG also meant to add that Sherbrooke is a great walking street...
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM

<<A great special restauramt near the Chateau is Aciens (sp)>>

The restaurant is Aux Anciens Canadiens and is in one of the oldest buildings in Québec. The lunch menu (good to 5:45pm) is good value. It gets pricier in the evening.

http://www.auxancienscanadiens.qc.ca/home.php

<<also meant to add that Sherbrooke is a great walking street.>>

Don't waste your time looking for Rue Sherbrooke in Québec (a nondescript two block street). It's Sherbrooke in Montréal that is the great walking street.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 12:00 PM

laverendrye.. I certainly meant Montreal for Sherbrooke ewalking anf had frogotten the price changes at the restaurant. If our avdice is taken then the trip and experience will be just that much better!! Again have a wonderful trip OG...
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 12:01 PM

Oops.. WG not OG...
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM

I'll add a recommendation for Aux Anciens Canadiens in Quebec City. It was completely full around 1 p.m. on a weekday when we went there in September without a reservation, so I'd recommend making one if you decide to try their Québécois specialities.

Even though the French language experience is certainly different than in Paris, it will still be valuable for your daughter, and enjoyable for her to converse with the locals whom I found very friendly and patient with my efforts.

Bon voyage!