Notices

Trip from Rochester to Quebec

Oct 24th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Trip from Rochester to Quebec

Driving from Rochester to Quebec city on November 22nd returning on the 25 or 26th -- interested in stops along the way (both way) and what to visit in Quebec city in 2 days. Also what would be a good point to spend the night - Montreal or any place closer to Quebec City? Merci!
Oct 24th, 2012, 09:54 AM

That's a LOT of driving for two days in the city.

Hopefully, you'll go for 4 nights instead of three.

With a 4-night plan, I would just stay in Montreal on the way (in the Old City for such a short stay so you can see a few highlights) and then continue to Quebec City. Trois Rivières is the only other worthy stop on that route and it's pretty close to Quebec City.

You might want to consider a different way back. You could come back via Vermont on the return trip and stay the night in Burlington on your way back. It's only adds about 90 minutes to the total drive back than it would going back via Montreal (10-1/2 hours instead of 9 hours). Burlington is about 1/2 way.

The nicest areas/towns/drives are actually further up the Saint Lawrence River from Quebec City (Baie-Saint-Paul, La Malbaie, etc.). Shame you don't have more time.
Oct 24th, 2012, 03:27 PM
LJ

I am with bardo1 in noting the amount of time you will spend in the car versus seeing anything. And, I don't mean to be a party-pooper but we already have snow forecast for an area of the Maritimes (where I live) that shares a lot of the same weather as Quebec City. While I know that as a Rochester resident you won't be spooked by a flurry or two, it could mean even MORE time in the car.
Oct 26th, 2012, 09:10 AM

In Quebec City you'll want to spend your time in Vieux Quebec (Old Quebec - the historic district). This is the main attraction.

I agree that a stop on the way in Montreal would be a good choice. On the way back you might swing south to Magog which is a nice town, quite bustling with shops, cafes and tourists in the summer, not sure about the late fall. Or swing north to Ottawa, although 1 night doesn't really give you time to see many of the attractions there (which include many museums and Byward Market District). Both are also an hour or 2 off your shortest route.

Search this Thread