Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Travelling soon to Baff, completely confused! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/travelling-soon-to-baff-completely-confused-327528/)

ssingru Jun 15th, 2003 08:06 AM

Travelling soon to Baff, completely confused!

My husband and I are travelling to the Canadian rockies this coming week. We plan to be in the area for about eight days. We will be flying into Calgary and then driving to Banff and onwards. Our initial travel plan also included Vancouver, but we decided at the last minute that it would be too hectic. Some of our reservations in the Banff-Jasper area are already made and I wouldn't want to change them. This is how our incomplete itinerary looks.

20th night. Fly into Calgary
21st morning Leave for Banff
21st and 22nd Explore Banff and Lake Louise
23rd Leave for Jasper late morning, spend the entire day driving on and exploring the icefields parkway. Reach Hinton at night.
24th Explore Jasper
25th ?????

This is where the confusion begins. Initially we had planned to leave for Vancouver on the 25th. Now our itinerary is completely open.

What should we do? Should we spend the 25th in Jasper too? Or should we drive back into the Banff-LL-Yoho area and spend 25th-28th there? What is the popular opinion about Mt Revelstoke, Kootenay, Glacier National Park etc? Anything interesting we can do in these areas? We like to do easy-moderate activities.

We have an early morning flight to Wisconsin from Calgary on the 29th. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

RachelG Jun 15th, 2003 05:14 PM

Are you flying back to Wisconsin from Calgary, or from Edmonton? I think this will dictate what you do. There are lots of hiking areas around Jasper. We drove to Mt Robson once from Jasper and hiked there, but if you are going back to Calgary, you might want to circle back and visit Kooteney NP--it also has good hiking. You could easily spend a week hiking in the Banff/Lake Louise area (I have). Another option on the other side of Calgary, and totally different is the Fossil Museum at Drumheller. My boys love this, and it is interesting for adults as well.

bob_brown Jun 15th, 2003 06:24 PM

The Drumheller excursion is a good idea.
The museum there is a World Heritage Site. But, if you don't care to learn about paleontology, literally the land before you, then Drumheller and the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology is of little interest.
I think you could spend another day in Jasper and, if the day is clear, drive west to Mt Robson Provincial Park. It is the highest point in the Canadian Rockies. It towers some 8,000 feet above you at one point. It is well worth the viewing.

jdykeman Jun 15th, 2003 06:54 PM

You could go to the BC side of the Rockies, such as Radium Hot Springs, also
there are trains from to Vancouver
that snake thru the Rockies either from Jasper or from Calgary.
Westjet is a low cost air alternative
to return to Calgary (westjet.com).
Have a good time. Go Badgers

sockboy Jun 16th, 2003 02:08 PM

Since you are flying in and out of Calgary I would make a loop of it, rather than back tracking.

Start out as you have planned, with the exception of staying in Hinton! Hinton is a good hour drive from Jasper. You will have to drive in and out of the park each day. If you are looking to save money on accomodations, Bear Hill Lodge is an affordable collection of bungalows right in Jasper that will give save you two hours of driving each day. I would also recommend staying right in Banff, but Canmore isn't so bad, only about a 1/2hr drive.

On the 25th I would drive to Edmonton (a 3.5hr drive). Stay the night and see the mall on the 26th. Later in the day on the 26th I would drive to Calgary, and spend you last couple of nights there. On the 27th take a day trip to the Tyrell Museum in Drumheller. I think anyone would find it and the landscape fascinating. Then spend your last day exploring the city of Calgary!