Canada in 1 Week

Search

Canada in 1 Week

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada in 1 Week

Next July I'll spend 1 or 1 1/2 weeks in Canada, between Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto. So my questions are: 1) Apart from these urban sites, which places do you advise to see/stop in between them? 2) I have relatives in Winnipeg. Are the city and the region (Manitoba) worth a visit? Really? Thanks, João Portela (Portugal)
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:16 PM
BAK

Canada is so big that Europeans are often very surprised.

Manitoba is several thousand kilometers from Toronto and Montreal, and it is not a place to visit if you have only a little time, unless you very much want to see your relatives.

Perhaps they would come to Toonto or Montreal and meet you there.

North of Montral, within 100 kilometers, is the Laurentien Mountains (not like the Alp) where many Montreal people have summer homes, there are beautiful lakes and nice resports.

From Ottawa to Toronto, on several routes, there is caountryside where people from ottawa and Toronto have summer homes. And, south of Ottawa, and half way between Montreal and Toronto, is the city of Kingston, and, near it, the Tousand Islands of the St. Lawrence River. Agin, countryside that is beautiful, and near where you will be visiting.

One week is a very short time to see Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto, and you will not have much time to see anything else.

BAK
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Hello:

I am originally from Brandon Manitoba and lived in Winnipeg for 13 years. Winnipeg, Gimli, Winnipeg Beach and Lake of the Woods/Kenora Ontario where many a Winnipeger has a summer "cottage" are all worthwhile places to visit. Winnipeg has the best restaurants in Western Canada, theatre, symphony orchestra and the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. A sizeable Portugeese community that immigrated in the 70's.

On your Ontario trip, visit the Gatineau region of Quebec which is just across the river from Ottawa.
Ottawa has lots to see and do such as watching the changing of the guard ceremony, the Bank of Canada museum of money or simply strolling down the Rideau Canal.

Leave Ottawa via travelling to Smith Falls and stop in Kingston. Take Highway 2 from Kingston to Toronto which follows the Lake Ontario shoreline.

In Toronto, the "little Portugal area" of Dundas and College streets would be a definite destination area.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:03 AM

When you are in Montreal, there is a nice Portuguese area which you may be interested in. It is in the area of St. Laurent and Rue Rachael. As others have mentioned, Winnipeg is a long long way from where you are going - like going from Lisbon to Warsaw!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Guys, with all due respect, I don't think one should assume that João necessarily will want to visit the Portuguese districts of Canadian cities.

When I went to the Epcot Center in Florida, I felt no interest in visiting the Canadian Pavilion.

Similarly, an Outback Steakhouse, which may seem quaint to North Americans might strike an Australian as quite hokey. At least I used to think the Outback Steakhouses were cute until I actually went to Australia. Since then, I have had no desire to darken the doorway of an Outback Steakhouse.

Just as we have the Outback Steakhouses here, they have a Lone Star Steakhouse in Melbourne. Trust me on this one. If you are a North American visiting Melbourne, give the Lone Star Steakhouse a wide berth.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

Thanks for all the answers until now. I would just like to say, like Judy_in_Calgary said, that I'm not really interested in any portuguese references in Canada. In Canada, I search for canadians and their urban and natural wonders. I understand your imediate availability to point some portuguese links, but what I really search are references like Kingston, for example, that were unknown for me. Thanks, João.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Most Europeans have to readjust their notion of distance while in Canada. I would think nothing of driving a total of four hours just to visit Winnipeg from Brandon for the day. My Dutch friend would equate this to driving from Amsterdam to northern France or into Germany.

Winnipeg by air from Toronto is 2 hours and 30 minutes west bound and 2 hours 15 minutes eastbound.

Vancouver is five hours flying time from Toronto.

Montreal or Ottawa to Toronto by car using the expressways (401) is about four hours. Toronto to Windsor and Detroit USA is four hours. Driving to Winnipeg from Toronto takes 24 hours.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 09:53 AM

When travelling in foreign lands, I always look to see if a bit of my culture is around - even if it is Celine Dion warbling on the airport bus radio.

Outside of most Four Seasons in the USA and in Sydney Australia you will find the maple leaf flag flying and they generally have a Molsons or Labbats beer on the menu - albiet at outrageous prices.

So in Toronto, we have a large soccer (football) mad Brazilian and Portugeese community with excellent restaurants and food stores including Brazilian churrascaria that I would want to check out if I was from Brazil or Portugal.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 03:56 PM

G'day Joao

HogtownJim and BAK have given you some excellent advice about distances in Canada.
Your plan to see Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto in one week is extremely ambitious. I would certainly never attempt it. You could spend several days in any one of the areas.
I would recommend that you select two cities and spend 2 or 3 days in each with one day traveling from one city to the next. Perhaps if you indicated your interests, the forum could better advise you which areas to visit. Probably Quebec City and Toronto would give you the greatest contrast as they are very different(but very charming) cities.
In any case, July will be lovely in Quebec, Ontario, and yes, Manitoba as well.

CAPT