Traveling to Banff and Jasper

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are planning a trip to Banff and Jasper. Myself, husband and one 8 year old. We are driving from Kansas (of all places) and will plan on 10 days to visit the sites of the National Parks. Although we have visited many other NP's ,we have never been out of the states, so I need lots of help for this area. I want to stop at the town of Banff first and spend at least 2 days. We will be getting there on a Monday and will be tired from the 3 day drive. I was hoping to find a nice place to stay, (but not over the top in price), look around, get groceries (I have heard other places are more expensive) etc. I have thought about the Fox Hotel and Suites or the Banff Caribou Lodge, so I need opinions on where to stay. I also need to know if Banff would be the best place to stay for 5 nights, or head on to Lake Louise. I found a couple of places that has openings and thought about staying there for 3 nights. Some places I want to see around Banff are the Icefields, Yoho NP, Lake O'Hara if I can get a reservation (I think you have to take a bus), Moraine Lake, Vermillion Lakes, Radium Hot Springs, Kootenay NP and alot of the scenic drives. I also would like to do the Gondola at Lake Louise. We also would like to hike (moderate hikes with a 7 mile round trip limit). I really have no idea how to plan my itinerary. Can we drive to most of these area's and go back to our "base camp" daily? Then we want to head to Jasper for 4-5 days. Not sure where to stay there. I have heard the Alpine Village is reall nice. We would like to see Maligne Lake & Canyon, Medicine Lake and Patricia Lake. Also heard nice things about Mt. Edith Calvell. All in all I know we will be busy, but I wan't to see as much as possible in 10 days. We really do enjoy hiking, back roads (we have a 4 wheel drive), photography, visiting caves and possibly white water rafting (something OK for our 8 year old). We have gone before (day trips). We might also like to horseback ride, or take a boat ride or cruise around the lakes. Also where to eat and side trips would be helpful. I just know you all will be a great help! I am not sure how to split up my time or how long to stay in each area. Does Jasper have more to see and do than Banff? Can I visit Yoho and Kootenay NP each in a day? Is Radium Hot Springs worth the visit. Are there any great museums we must see? Thanks in advance! Cindy
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:04 AM

You wont regret it.It's the most scenic route in North America in my opinion and we've done most of the Nat.Parks in the States. We prefer Lake Moraine to L.Louise.It's close by but you actuallu see 10 mountain tops surounding the lake and you can also rent a kayak. In Jasper I would strongly recommend staying at Becker chalets.Near the river and they have a gourmet restaurant.It's on the Banff-Jasper road not far from Jasper.Paul
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I have been undecided about staying at Lake Louse or Moraine. We too have visited most of the NP in the States and have driven many scenic byways and I have heard this one is spectacular. I have also heard about Becker Chalets and have sent them an e-mail. The kayaking sounds great at Moraine Lake. Do you recommend more time in the Jasper area, or does my itinerary sound about right? It's so hard to decide how to split our time when we have never been. Thanks, for the advice. Cindy
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:40 AM

Two days in each Banff and Jasper location plus one day to drive from one to the other as there's a lot to see along the way.Paul
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:54 PM

Seems like you like to see the best of the Canadian Rockies in a very short time. Well I can tell you, the best way to experience the Rockies is to slow down and go hiking as much as you can. Note that you have to reserve the Lake O'Hara bus 3 months in advance. We succeeded to take the bus, but you have to be lucky. You may also decide to buy a hiking book. We bought on Amazon "the best day hikes in the Canadian Rockies" from Tim Jensen. This may be the best advise for anyone who likes a bit of hiking in the Canadian Rockies but also likes to do other stuff in the Rockies. We really liked it and it is not too expensive considering it includes well made maps. Basically the book just covers the best hikes all over the Rockies with great hiking maps. We only had esteem for 5 day hikes but they were all fantastic.

For backroad driving you will need to exit the Canadian Rockies. I do not believe that is permitted.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tim, Since I first posted, I have made some reservations, redefined my travel plans, etc. We are arriving in Banff on the 19th of July in the afternoon. We will stay there 2 nights, then on to Lake Louise for 4 days and nights, then on the Jasper for 4 days and nights. I did by the book that you mentioned, along with several others and have been scouring thru them. I did try calling Lake O'Hara the end of end of April, right after I posted, but they were full up. I am thinking about the Iceline hike. Have you taken it? If you have recommendations for day hikes, nothing more than moderate, I would love to have the advice. Any other advice for other day hikes or day trips from Lake Louise or Jasper would be appreciated. I still think we will go on a white water rafting trip, maybe in Jasper and I still want to go to Spirit Lake. Also would like to take at least one Gondola ride, do you have recommendations for which one. Thanks again, Cindy
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 08:13 PM

The Roskies in mid-July - lucky you !!!! I'm sure you'lll have a wonderful time.

A few points -

The Columbia Icefields are closer to Jasper than to Banff (they're actually in Jasper National Park), and the best way to see them is to plan the Icefield Parkway drive for one whole day, stopping at the glaciers for as many hours as you like.
Be sure to stop and do the short walk at Peyto Lake (it's well marked along the Icefield Parkway, about a mile north of Bow Summit.
The best hike around Lake Louise is the one going up to the teahouse and, if you want to go further, to the viewpoints of Bow valley. From this trail you can also hike to the Plain of Six Glaciers (different glaciers than the Columbia Icefields that I talked about above).

Note that Lake Louise is a 45 to 50 minute drive from Banff town, so you could actually decide to make just one of the two places as your "home base" for visiting Banff National Park and Yoho National Park instead of packing up and moving after just two days.
Or - stay in-between the two places - our favorite is Baker Creek Chalets about 8 minutes drive east of Lake Louise (there is also a dining room on site, and you can choose to stay in the lodge, or in one of the many very comfy cabins).

The hike at Mt Edith Cavell is moderate, you can walk as far as the lake at the base of Angel Glacier, or you could walk up the switchbacks to a very pretty meadow, which, in mi-July, should be brillaint with the colours of mountain wildflowers.

I would recomment Googling a few sites for more information, such as "Explore Banff", the "Parks Canada" website, Jasper - to get a better idea of what is out there.

By the way, there are several outfits that do whitewater rafting in Jasper (on the Athabasca River); the Tramway to the top of the Whistler (mountain) in Jasper is spectacular if the weather is sunny (and you can walk to the top of the mountain from the upper terminal). Even from the terminal though, on clear days you can see Mount Robson 100 km (65 miles) to the west. Mount Robson is the tallest peak in the Canadian Rockies.

Have fun!!!
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great information! As we are driving into Banff on the 19th late in the afternoon, we are staying there for 2 nights to get supplies, look around (We might just drive down to Yoho the next day), and then I have Paradise Lodge and Suites rented for 4 nights at Lake Louise before we head to Jasper for 4 nights at the Alpine Village. I just can't wait to go and enjoy the wonderful sights, all the pictures are just breathtaking! Peyto lake looks spectacular!

By the way, do you recommend taking the Icefield Parkway "Bus/Tram tour" out on the ice?

Thanks again for your help. Cindy
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Cjamison -- Could you comment on how your trip worked out? It would be interesting to hear from you.