Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Traveling from Montreal to Quebec City (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/traveling-from-montreal-to-quebec-city-537740/)

sollitt Jun 18th, 2005 04:58 PM

Traveling from Montreal to Quebec City

We (three people) are flying in from Los Angeles and will be staying in Montreal for 4 nights, then Quebec City for 3 nights, and then back to Montreal for 1 night because we leave early the next morning from Trudeau Airport (7:15 a.m.). We have hotels for the first 7 nights. My question is: Should we rent a car to drive to Quebec City and just park it at the hotel there (it doesn't seem that you need a car in Quebec), then drive back to Montreal and stay at a hotel near the airport? Any advice would be much appreciated.

oneillchris Jun 18th, 2005 07:12 PM

Dear Solitt,
I would recomend a car more for Quebec than Montreal, Montreal we have an excellent metro system, perhaps if you want to conserve funds then take a taxi to your hotel on Montreal and rent a car to drive to Quebec city and keep the car in Quebec City, Both Montreal and Quebec have a lot too offer outside of each city that a car would be great for, In montreal for example in less than an hour you could be in the laurentians at the ski hill enloying a country B&B or within an hour at the vineyards in the eastern townships. For Hotels at the airport I recomend the Dorval Hilton as it is the only hotel directly at the airport and has shuttle. You will love Quebec and Montreal especially if you time your visit to Montreal with any one of our festivals like maybe the jazz festival or the comedy festival, each Saturday or Friday Honestly I forget we have fireworks at Old Montreal. Quebec is great but most Montrealers find it a bit dull.

onlyliveonce Jun 19th, 2005 03:19 AM

Hi Sollitt,

I just returned from both Montreal and Quebec City, and drove from Quebec City to Montreal. The modes of transportation are as follows: the hydrofoil, takes four hours named the dauphine, bus and train take three, same as rental car, I guess it depends what you are going to do in both areas but I would take a bus or taxi transfer to downtown Montreal and pick up a car there on your forth day and park it in the hotel in Quebec, I know for sure there is a Hertz and National rental car depot in downtown Quebec. But if you intend to stay in the Quebec City area, consider the train or bus then rent a car on your final day to return to Montreal. I found a one way rental from Hertz to Trudeau for 130 CAD. Thrify is closer to the Quebec City train station and they were the same price as well. I picked the car up on the same day and drove it to the Trudeau. The Drive is realitively boring, not much to see, but I would reccomend more time in the Quebec area, although I dont know what you are interested in seeing, I know the rental costs may more expensive to pick up and drop off in different locations but you may get a better rate (and less complications} just renting for the week from Trudeau. Keep in mind you will pay for parking in both Quebec City and Montreal about 10 CAD per night. If you need any other feedback on hotels or attractions, let me know.

sollitt Jun 19th, 2005 09:09 PM

Thank you both for the information.
Onlyliveonce: What were some of the highlights of your trip? This is our first time in this part of Canada. (We will be there Aug. 6-14.)

onlyliveonce Jun 20th, 2005 06:46 PM

Sollitt,

I was in Quebec City for three days then drove to Montreal just to fly to Halifax (Nova Scotia)on to Cape Breton Island. Frankly, if you like nightlife, and restaurants, Montreal has both, I am from New York so I dont look for that on Vacation, but I honestly cant say I have any highlights from Montreal, I have been there a few times, the old town is small and overly touristy, and the city is not too clean overall, but if you want nightlife, Montreal is good for that. I would check the internet for any festivals in both towns, they can be fun. As far as higlights from the trip, Quebec City is culturally vibrant, and charming, people tend to compare it to a european city, I have to disagree, but I did enjoy Quebec City very much. I rented a bike and toured the extensive network of bike paths, if you get tired of walking up and down the streets, the Chateau is very nice, I have to admit the hotel I stayed at stood out in my mind when reading your question, I usually dont think of a hotel as a highlight on a vacation but the Dominion 1912, was a great expierence. I saw the Citadel (military fort), and pretty much walked around the city, exploring the many parks and sights. Not much to do at night, and the restaurants are so-so, but go out to eat to enjoy the atomsphere at an outdoor cafe, the is a good museum I did not get a chance to visit, If you give me an idea of what you like to do on vacation I could probably offer a more focused response, but I hope the above helps a little.

sollitt Jun 21st, 2005 05:37 AM

Onlyliveonce: We are coming from Los Angeles (my husband and our 16 year old daughter). We have been to western Canada before (Vancouver, Banff, and Jasper) and loved it. We like to walk around, see the local sights, eat good food. We like nature and wildlife. We also like museums. We have enjoyed river rafting and whale watching. My daughter likes to shop (clothes, souvenirs, etc.). So we don't really do the nightlife thing. All three of us enjoy good food (we've been to Paris and loved the food there), but we don't want to spend a ton of money. We thought we'd go to one expensive restaurant and then eat at more moderately priced places the other times. As far as transportation between Montreal and Quebec, we think we'll rent a car in Montreal and drive to Quebec, then drive from Quebec back to Montreal and stay the last day at a hotel near the airport (we have an early flight the next morning). We'll have to figure out the pick-up and drop-off locations. Thanks for your suggestions.

merrittm Nov 23rd, 2005 10:07 AM

ttt for reasearch