Bay of Fundy Weekend

Old Jun 30th, 2015, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bay of Fundy Weekend

Two Texans interested in seeing the Bay of Fundy -- bucket list item. We will have a long weekend in September and need suggestions. Airport? Rent a car? Activities? Hotel? Food? We are late 50's and in good shape -- hiking not a problem. We are foodies -- a splurge meal and maybe a gourmet picnic?
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 11:25 AM

If you really want to immerse yourself, with the "gourmet picnic", fit it into backpacks and go to Cape Split, NS! (the high bluff - I don't quite mean daring the split )

Tide viewing isn't significant, unless timed strategically, but Cape Split puts you in the middle of the bucket list bullseye!

I have lots of other NS stuff written here so click on my name & scroll down for more detail!
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 08:58 AM

One point: most of the communities around the Bay of Fundy are small to tiny (except Saint John with population of 70,000, but I would stay elsewhere). So you will definitely need to rent a car and explore as the scenery and attractions are spread out all around. A long weekend will force you to pick and choose, you won't have time for all. I've vacationed in this area maybe 7-8 times and here are a few possibilities.

Saint Andrews New Brunswick (NB): Cute little historic town near the Maine border with shops, a number of restaurants, a couple of higher end Inns/Resorts and several smaller accommodation choices. Whale watching tours available nearby.

Alma/Fundy National Park NB: one of the most dramatic spots to witness the Fundy Tides, especially if you can stay long enough to see both high and low tide. Cliffside Suites offer beautiful accommodation and views, and there are several other choices. There are short scenic hiking trails in the NP which is adjacent to this small fishing village.

Hopewell Rocks NB: This is a relatively quick stop but again dramatically demonstrates the tides. Two separate stops required to contrast both high and low; if not possible - time your visit for low tide to see the sea stacks (tide tables can be found online).

Advocate Harbour/Parrsboro area Nova Scotia (NS): scenic shoreline with interesting rocky outcrops and geology. There is a restaurant in Advocate Harbour known for excellent food, you should be able to find it online).

Wolfsville NS: pretty little historic university town, adjacent to Nova Scotia's wine and fruit growing region (Annapolis Valley). A number of very nice B&B's in town and some of the wineries offer dining. You can visit Blomidon Provincial Park for a picnic, or Cape Split, or day-trip to another charming historic town - Annapolis Royal.

Digby NS: famous for their Scallop Fleet, you can also daytrip to Annapolis Royal from here - or to Brier Island which has interesting scenery and rock formations. Both Brier Island NS and Grand Manan NB offer potentially spectacular whale tours into the Bay of Fundy that target the Big species, but you likely won't have time for this.