Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Translink and itinerary questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/translink-and-itinerary-questions-1450000/)

Cjar Jul 1st, 2017 07:34 AM

Translink and itinerary questions

Hello, everyone. I have reposted this in the hope that someone will bite. Thank you in advance for your guidance. We, a family of two older teens, two adults, are going to be in Vancouver and Victoria for a few days this summer and I wonder if I might get some feedback on a tentative itinerary. Sometimes what looks good on paper isnt as easy to accomplish in reality.
Also if you have any favorite cheap eats ( nothing with white linen) suggestions for the areas we'll be in, please let them fly.
July 27 - take 7:45 Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver arrive 11:45
Get settled at Hampton Inn on Robson ( already booked with points)
Stroll Robson and make our way to Stanley Park for cycling and walking
Waterfront Cinema or view Sails of light from Coal Harbour Seawall. That's a wrap.

July 28- wander through Yaletown to Granville Island Market, stay in this general area as we have tickets for Bard on the Beach at Vanier Park at 7:30pm. Anyone done this? Is casual dress ok or do we need to return to the hotel and dress up a bit more.

July 29- part day at Lynn Canyon Park and????

July 30- Explore Commercial drive area and get to Tsawassen Ferry landing for 3:00 trip to Victoria. I was told to be at the landing an hour before to ensure passage. Is there some place to store suitcases or do they just remain with us for the trip? And how secure is storage if available?

All of these things look to be easily accessible with public transport or walking. Is it best to get several day passes or just put stored value on a Compass card for what we're doing and if we utilize stored value can we all share one card? I think some days we'd use more than one form of transport to get from a to b. So day passes?

July30- Victoria from Swartz Bay. We have arranged private transport to Butchart Gardens. Hang out there, take our time, maybe stay for entertainment and fireworks. Taxi to hotel.

July 31- whale watching with Eagle wing or Orca Spirit. Any preferences? Unfortunately, I won't be participating in this exciting activity as I sometimes think I get sick just looking at the water and that's just a downer for everyone. I may make my way to the Parliament Buildngs tour and meander downtown and console myself with chocolate from Roger's. Maybe later we'll visit Beacon Hill park. Open to other thoughts.

Aug 1- Christ Church Cathedral and Craigdorrach Castle. Any tips, suggestions?

Any fun things to do in the evenings?

I would also appreciate info on public transport in Victoria. Do they have a similar card system? Can I use the Compass card there as well?

Aug 2- Noon flight to SeaTac. Well there it is. Please feel free to educate and inspire me. We are open to any suggestions you might have. Is there something you loved that I haven't included? Thanks to all for your input.

live42day Jul 9th, 2017 06:44 PM

It looks like you have a good itinerary. Bard on the beach can be casual dress.

On the ferry you can put your luggage on a rack and they will take it aboard on a van and you pick it up on the other side. Your compass card is only good for Vancouver. You will need to purchase bus fares for victoria.

You don't say where you are staying. Are you right near the harbour front? If so, just wandering around there is interesting. There is the Museum right beside the Parliament buildings to visit. A stroll through the Fairmont Empress perhaps. Walk down on the boardwalk below on the waterfront.

We spent canada day weekend in Victoria, and just walked everywhere. We were staying right down town. There are lots of different restaurants.
ReBar is a fantastic healthy and delicious food restaurant in Bastion Square.
Be Love is a vegan restaurant that is also delicious
We just ate at Tapa Bar in Trounce Alley which was good.

There is an ice cream place on Government St that had huge line ups and everyone looked like they were enjoying their treat.

Murchies Tea shop , again on Government, has been there forever and should warrant a peak.
There are lots of seafood restaurants too.
I would look on Trip Advisor for ones close to where you are staying.

Cjar Jul 18th, 2017 07:20 AM

Thanks live42day. We leave next week and are really excited. In Vancouver we stay at Hampton Inn on Robson. In Victoria we splurged and are staying at the Empress, so yes right on the inner (?) harbor.
I appreciate the Compass card information. I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure.

So the luggage is checked (?) on the ferry or there is just a spot to place the luggage? Also does anyone know how early we should be to buy tickets for the ferry and handle the luggage? Per the website you can't make reservations for passenger only. Do they ever sell out? Is there plenty of room even in the summer?

live42day Aug 2nd, 2017 11:22 AM

I am sorry I never came back to see your post. I imagine you have travelled by now. I hope it all worked out for you okay and you enjoyed your time.

Cjar Aug 3rd, 2017 08:11 PM

No problem, live42day. It was a really good trip. Maybe I'll even get ambitious and write a trip report even though I'm not particularly good at it.

The ice cream place was called Kooky, I think. It was a soft serve place where you can customize your soft serve ice cream and dip them in flavored shells. They could even be rolled in goodies. The lines were crazy this week too.